Difficulty installing utilities on MacIntel OSX

Support about issues that aren't clearly in one of the above areas.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Difficulty installing utilities on MacIntel OSX

Postby olbrich » 04 May 2006, 03:43

I tried installing the Fingerworks Utils on my new MacBook Pro. The mutli-touch utilites program loads up then quits immediately.

Not sure what the problem is, but the utility launcher is a PPC executable.
olbrich

Good luck

Postby staygood » 04 May 2006, 08:32

I was wondering who'd find this out first-- I didn't think the utilities (using hardware directly) would work with Rosetta. I don't have the keyboard nor a MacIntel, so this following is all guesswork.

If you need it to work, I'd recommend using someone else's MacPPC system. Good thing you don't need the utilities installed unless you're making changes.

That, or install Windows on your system (warning! Boot Camp is very new and might still be risky to use) in order to use the Intel/Windows version of the Utilities. Not sure if that'll work, but it has a fair chance of working. It's also probably easier for you than getting the Mac source recompiled for a Universal Binary. (Though who knows, Apple owns the code now, right?)

Best of luck!
staygood
Familiar

Postby 101100 » 22 Jun 2006, 00:04

Luckily, they used the opensource jusb library available at sourceforge. Unfortunately, I had to get the CVS version and modify the Makefile. I did get it working, though! Now I'm going to attempt to place the appropriate files on the Wiki. If I succeed, I'll post here again.

Postby antifuchs » 26 Jul 2006, 00:15

101100 wrote:Luckily, they used the opensource jusb library available at sourceforge. Unfortunately, I had to get the CVS version and modify the Makefile. I did get it working, though! Now I'm going to attempt to place the appropriate files on the Wiki. If I succeed, I'll post here again.

Seems like you were unsuccessful. /-:

Could you describe what you did to make things work? I tried replacing the jusb dylib and jar file with the ones that compiling a cvs checkout produces, but that doesn't change anything.

TIA.
antifuchs
Hang-around

jusb patch

Postby ohler » 06 Mar 2007, 17:31

antifuchs,

If this is still an open problem, try building the cvs version of jusb with the following patch:
Code: Select all
diff -Naur jusb-orig/Makefile jusb/Makefile
--- jusb-orig/Makefile  2005-01-17 08:12:10.000000000 +0100
+++ jusb/Makefile       2007-03-06 17:15:19.000000000 +0100
@@ -214,7 +214,7 @@
 else
 ifeq ($(OSTYPE),Darwin)
     CC = cc
-    JNI_INC = -I/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Headers
+    JNI_INC = -I/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Headers

#    SOURCES += $(WIN32_SOURCES)
     SOURCES += $(MACOSX_SOURCES)
@@ -486,6 +486,7 @@
        if [ -d src ]; then rm -rf src.tgz apidoc; fi
        rm -rf classes include-cni idl \
                native/usb_*_*.h obj-static showtree \
+               native/*.o \
                jusb-$(VERSION)-src.tgz *.jar lib$(NAME)* \
                Log *~ *.s core
        find . '(' -name '*~' -o -name '.#*' ')' -exec rm -f '{}' ';'

and replace the file Fingerworks/lib/jusb/libjusbMacOSX.jnilib with the one from the patched jusb.

I don't have a thorough understanding of why, but for me, this fixes the crash when launching MultiTouch Utilities.

Use at your own risk. This is on Mac OS 10.4.8, Intel.
ohler

Return to Other troubleshooting