The KITTY project

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

The KITTY project

Postby ivanw » 12 Dec 2005, 01:24

Here is something that sounds great. I wonder whether people are going to think this is a joke or not... But for those like us who know about crazy keyboards, it looks like being the next step :roll:
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 12 Dec 2005, 18:55

I saw this several years ago when I was first looking into wearable/maximal portability systems. It has a lot of advantages, including the cool spirals on your digits, think of the cosmetic possibilities. And its very handy, being there all the time. Connected with bluetooth or some other wireless tech, it becomes ubiquitous.

Its definitely not a joke. I am just surprised they are still around after all these years of not having gotten anywhere.

They do have the start of a nice little flash web site.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Msquared » 19 Dec 2005, 16:10

Rqyteqto wrote:I am just surprised they are still around after all these years of not having gotten anywhere.

Perhaps they are stuck on many practical issues, such as bucky keys, more than just alphanum keys, etc... It's a shame, because it seems to be quite a neat idea. I like, for example, the simple solution to the problem of the index finger accessing two columns of keys: one column maps to the underside of the thumb, one to the top of the thumb.

Almost tempting to knock one up for oneself... Won't take a great deal of hacking to make a homebrew one...
Msquared
Familiar

Postby isaacs » 21 Dec 2005, 21:09

I thought it would be good at first too but you are back to the finger travel. It is a long ways to move your fingers, even more than a regular keyboard. Think of how much it hurts to now type on a normal keyboard after typing on the ts and multiply that. :D I love my TS!
Isaac.S
isaacs
Regular

Postby ivanw » 21 Dec 2005, 22:31

isaacs wrote: :D I love my TS!

+1 here.
One more noticeable step in this direction for me comes from my current experience with the new TypeMatrix I am training with.
I already like this one better than my old MS-Natural, but it can't compare to the TouchStream. It looks like we have found the best device so far and everything just drive us back to it 8)
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Msquared » 22 Dec 2005, 01:55

isaacs wrote:I thought it would be good at first too but you are back to the finger travel. It is a long ways to move your fingers, even more than a regular keyboard.

Very true, and I had thought about that. I don't think it's a replacement for a keyboard for normal use, but it does allow surface-free typing when you are on the go.

I think mobile computing will most benefit from context-sensitive and intelligently-parsed voice recognition, possibly with the addition of some similar device to the KITTYTECH or some chordic or other type of input device.

I recently went to Singapore, and saw one of those virtual keyboards (it projects a keyboard outline onto a flat surface. Not bad, but you still need a surface. :) Anyway, roaming waaay off topic... :roll:
Msquared
Familiar

Postby Rqyteqto » 22 Dec 2005, 21:34

Anybody ever try the Twiddler, its a palm sized chording device with built-in thumb joystick?

I've been following them for years, about the same amount of time as for FW-TS. It too has a serious threshold price (though $200 seems a deal compared to the current $700 to $900 going prices of TS) and would seem to have an equally (though different) steep learning curve.

I see the Wearable Computing Lab at MIT has worked out a wireless connection for them. Might be something that would apply to the TS, have to look into that, it would be lovely to go wireless on the TS (as well as the rest of the FW lineup).
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Marketplace