Downloads, XWinder

Discuss, suggest and complain about the forum itself here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Downloads, XWinder

Postby The00Dustin » 29 Apr 2005, 00:14

I have xwinder versions 1.53, 1.55, 1.58, and 1.60 for Linux, Mac, and Windows (with and without java). I would be more than happy to provide them so that they can be available on this site if someone would be so kind as to tell me where and how to do this.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 29 Apr 2005, 08:05

Thanks Theo! We're not ready to accept uploads yet, so please hang on to those files and this forum. We'll announce when uploads can take place. As things look right now it might take a week or so, as I don't have much spare time. But it would be around this page: index.php?title=Download_area
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby TorbenGB » 17 May 2005, 13:44

The page http://fingerfans.dreamhosters.com/bin/view/Main/DownloadArea allows you to upload ("attach") files to this website. Please, go ahead!
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 18 May 2005, 00:07

When I click the Attach button, my login and password do not work... Is there a separate registration or what?
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 18 May 2005, 08:03

Yes, the forum and the wiki website are separate systems (sorry!). You need to register as a user in the wiki system as well.

Read more:
bin/view/Main/AboutThisSite

Register:
bin/view/TWiki/TWikiRegistration
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 18 May 2005, 18:38

Alright, the Linux Drivers With Java are over 50MB, should I compress them and post them if I can get them under 30MB? Also, for all other drivers (already under 30MB), should I still compress, or just post the file? Finally, if compressing, for Linux and Mac, what archive format should I use?
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 18 May 2005, 20:46

50 megs in one file? Wow.
Well, no problem, I have now removed the upload limit completely.
But people still need to download it again, so the smallest possible filesize = compressing the files would be a good idea anyway.

I'm no *nix expert, so I'll leave it to you to choose the compressor.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 19 May 2005, 00:07

Alright, RARs it is for Linux. That cuts the bin file down by a fair chunk. Mac stuff is already zipped and the PC exe files are already as compressed as they are going to get (making a rar didn't save a MB at best compression). I'll start uploading a file at a time as have time.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The00Dustin » 19 May 2005, 00:32

When I try to upload the files using IE, I get the typical "The page cannot be displayed" error after some amount of time, and the upload never happens. I noticed that the help file says:
It's not recommended to upload files greater than a few hundred K through a browser. Large files can be extremely slow-loading, and often time out. Use an FTP site for large file uploads.
So is there a way to FTP with/to wiki, or is it saying that they should be FTP'd the way a normal Webmaster would FTP them?
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 19 May 2005, 08:37

The00Dustin wrote:I get the typical "The page cannot be displayed" error after some amount of time. ... So is there a way to FTP with/to wiki ...?

I don't have open (anonymous) FTP access to the server, and I'm not much for disclosing my own server account login here :? Why did FW create such huge files to start with?... Ideas would be appreciated, folks.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby notmatt » 19 May 2005, 09:31

Do you really need to upload the versions with the Java VM? Most people have Java installed on thier machine, so you'll save a lot of disk space and bandwidth by putting up the non Java versions, if you have them.

As for *nix compression, Tar and gZipping or bZipping them is one of the most common methods. I can get the unix version from the site once you've put it up and re-zip and re-upload from my solaris box if you want?
notmatt
Familiar

Postby The00Dustin » 19 May 2005, 12:39

Yeah, I tried with and without java, I figured I would just upoad all the versions I have with and without, if space becomes a concern, we can always delete some of them later. I had to use the one with java on a machne that had three versions of java installed already becaue they were installed by Oracle and not recognized by the Fingerworks installer, so it wouldn't even try to install and let me point at the java location. It seems like I had to do the same when java was nstalled by the Fingerworks installer, but it has been a while, so I don't remember. Even the smallest driver file I had failed, but since ivanw had trouble with a 12kb file, maybe we'll figure something out yet. I would be fine with you downloading, re-archiving, and re-uploading the *nix versions, notmatt, and then the archives I made could be deleted. Does anyone have a good way for me to get them to Torben so that he can ftp them up?
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby notmatt » 19 May 2005, 14:22

Dustin: You could email them to me at mattrm@gmail.com and I can put them up on my website for download. I can give you a gmail account for transferring files if you don't already have one. I already have the linux, amc and windows version 1.60 files from the FW website.

I think we don't need to bother with the Java VM version tbh. I'd be surprised if the programs don't work under the standard JVM produced by sun. Give people a link to that if they don't already have it on thier machine.

ivanw: I'm afraid I'm not up to creating a new version of the installer which will properly deploy the JVM etc. My experience of creating program installers starts and ends with self extracting zip files ;) If you think you can do it then you probably should.

Random thought: if FW are really totally dead then do we maybe want to think about de-compiling the x-winder programs so we can do some tinkering?
notmatt
Familiar

Postby The00Dustin » 19 May 2005, 16:40

Matt, the files are on the way. Torben can download them and upload them if we want them on the site, otherwise linking them is certainly better than nothing.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby notmatt » 20 May 2005, 00:00

Okay, once I've got them I'll upload them.

Ivan - I've no idea how to include a JVM with a self extracting zipfile so it will install to the right place...
notmatt
Familiar

Postby notmatt » 22 May 2005, 00:24

I'm still waiting for the copies of the programs. I've got all the 1.60 versions from the FW website, so you only need to send the older versions.
notmatt
Familiar

Postby The00Dustin » 23 May 2005, 03:53

I e-mailed them all right after I posted the message on this thread. Each e-mail was under 10MB. I got no bounces from any of the e-mails. Maybe they went to a junk mail flder or something?
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby notmatt » 23 May 2005, 08:20

I can't see them in my inbox, and it certainly isn't in my spam inbox.

I'll search again later.
notmatt
Familiar

Postby The00Dustin » 23 May 2005, 14:28

Matt, if you still haven't received them, let me know, and I'll try to send them from a different e-mail address.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to About this forum