[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
fingerfans.dreamhosters.com • View topic - Using Multitouch Utils with Windows 7 (x64) ?

Using Multitouch Utils with Windows 7 (x64) ?

Support about issues that aren't clearly in one of the above areas.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Using Multitouch Utils with Windows 7 (x64) ?

Postby nomaded » 14 Apr 2010, 06:14

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck in getting the Multitouch Utils to work with Windows 7, let alone the x64 version. There seems to be posts about getting it working with Vista, but they're not available at this time. :?:
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Re: Using Multitouch Utils with Windows 7 (x64) ?

Postby dongadoy » 21 May 2010, 12:43

Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby drew » 05 Feb 2011, 06:10

I have been able to get the Utilities installed on Win7 (x64). I did not have too much difficulty the installer needs to be run in compatibility mode and you need to in stall the first and then point the installer at the Java engine.

The issue I am having is that the utilities are not recognizing that a FingerWorks device is plugged in. The HIDs are present in the device manager but just as HID compliant devices. I seem to recall that under XP that at least one of the drivers was recognized as a Fingerworks driver. Unfortunately I do not have a way to check this out at this time and do not have any idea on how to correct the situation.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
drew
drew
Regular

Postby The00Dustin » 05 Feb 2011, 18:34

You are correct, there was a Multitouch USB Devices section added to Device Manager, and it had (in my case) a TouchStream ST/LP in it. Unfortunately, Win7 uses different drivers than XP even if it's 32-bit (WinXP is 5.1, Win 7 is 6.1, so completely different major version kernels). That said, I think you have detected the problem, and it might be possible to write a driver using the SDK, but I don't know if it has everything necessary for that or not, and even if it did, you would also have to be able to create a certificate to sign the driver with, and then you would have to use BCDEdit to run Windows in TestSigning mode to use the driver. It would be great if someone had the know-how and did this, but there are a lot of ifs there (for instance, would the device even be recognized by the utilities with that driver?).
Dustin
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby drew » 09 Feb 2011, 04:23

Is it possible that the driver is still there and functioning but it is not being recognized by the utilities? Xwinder still works and there is not any loss of function with the keyboard that I am aware of...
I am not sure how this works but isn't the driver stored in the keyboard and installed when it is plugged in for the first time?
drew
Regular

Postby The00Dustin » 09 Feb 2011, 11:59

No, if xWinder works (which is GREAT news to me), then it is because it uses an HID device, which doesn't require a driver. HID = Human Input Device, and they are standard, whereas the MultiTouch device is a proprietary communication device that requires a driver, which has to be compatible with the kernel. Presumably the missing driver is used only for testing and to reboot into update mode. On that note, there are actually at least TWO drivers necessary if anyone has the knowhow and information to create new versions... The first is the device I see now, the second(+) is the update mode device(s), because whenever the config or firmware is updated via the multitouch utilities, the product restarts in an update mode and appears as a different device that needs different driver.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ShawnMcCool » 29 Mar 2011, 16:37

Are you saying that you have to use a virtual machine, install your apps to it, use your fingerworks touchstream lp with it. then close it when you're done? Or, are you saying that you use the virtual machine to configure your touchstream lp so that it'll work the way you want it to in windows 7?
ShawnMcCool
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 29 Mar 2011, 19:20

Shawn, it's the latter of your guesses: the virtual machine is used to run an older operating system on which the FW software still works, just to configure the device. Once the device is configured to your liking, it will work on ANY operating system -- also newer Windows versions.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ShawnMcCool » 14 Apr 2011, 15:56

ShawnMcCool
Familiar

Postby dongadoy » 14 Apr 2011, 16:27

I was surprised when XWinder worked in my Vista. It must be using the standard HID USB interface to get that cool functionality. XWinder uses thumb-index-pinky gestures to move and resize windows.
Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Return to Other troubleshooting