Alternatives?

Talk about the weather, movies, whatever -- just not FW stuff.

Moderator: The00Dustin

TypeMatrix

Postby phill » 23 Sep 2005, 22:35

The TypeMatrix is an awesome keyboard. I just wish they made a Macintosh version of it. I really use the Mac keys a lot. I'm currently using the Kensington keyboard with all the Mac keys. I don't know how I every got by without the iTunes keys.

Command, Sleep, Volume, Eject are all must have keys while on the Mac platform. Yeah, you can do it all with the mouse, but I hate that damn thing.
phill
Regular

use Quicksilver

Postby nomaded » 24 Sep 2005, 00:03

Actually, I just use Quicksilver to do all of that when I'm on my Mac Mini at home, that uses a MICROS~1 keyboard, with Dvorak layout.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby jpaller » 30 Sep 2005, 16:53

here is an alternative if people are looking for the zero force touch typing. seems the surface is more customizable but otherwise it is just a regular keyboard with laptop mouse built in. no idea on price.

http://www.specialneedscomputers.ca/kb-1hand.htm

-josh
jpaller
Hang-around

Goldtouch Apple Compatible Keyboard - White USB

Postby phill » 12 Jan 2006, 21:52

Keyovation has announced it's new Mac compatible keyboard and is taking orders right now. Have a look and see if you like it.

http://www.keyovation.com/pc-63-2-goldtouch-apple-compatible-keyboard.aspx
phill
Regular

Postby Shawn_Milo » 26 Jan 2006, 16:38

Yeah, the TypeMatrix with the Mac isn't the perfect combination. But I've been told by the people behind TypeMatrix that they do plan to move to a native USB board with the keys in a better place for Mac users. However, it's not likely that this will be soon. They're a small company, so the change is not so easy.

Shawn
Shawn_Milo
Regular

alt-tab issue

Postby bryanlharris » 02 Mar 2006, 09:11

Shawn_Milo, I know what you mean by the alt-tab issues. I had the same issue when I was using the USB connector.

I have even tried using autohotkey to get other keys to mimic the alt-tab behaviour and act as another shuffle key, but even something great as autohotkey has terrible problems when it comes to the alt-tab combination.

I have heard somewhere that the next wave of microsoft keyboards will have new keys, one of them being the shuffle key.
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Re: alt-tab issue

Postby Shawn_Milo » 02 Mar 2006, 20:20

bryanlharris wrote:I have heard somewhere that the next wave of microsoft keyboards will have new keys, one of them being the shuffle key.

Damn them! We don't need a frickin' shuffle key, we need a non-staggered layout! I refuse to buy another keyboard ever again that has staggered keys.

Once they do that, we'll talk to them about converting the world to Dvorak. ;o)

But for now, I'm sticking with my TypeMatrix.

ShawnMilo
Shawn_Milo
Regular

typematrix

Postby bryanlharris » 03 Mar 2006, 03:24

Yep I have a typematrix and it's great; our only hope against microsoft is that typematrix owns a patent for this kind of layout.
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Re: typematrix

Postby Shawn_Milo » 03 Mar 2006, 14:24

bryanlharris wrote:Yep I have a typematrix and it's great; our only hope against microsoft is that typematrix owns a patent for this kind of layout.

No, you misunderstand me. I wish every manufacturer would use a non-staggered layout. I don't believe that it is, or even can be, patented.

I'm sure TypeMatrix has some rights over the centrally-located Enter and Backspace keys, and their other innovations.

But a staggered layout is just stupid, harmful, inconvenient, unneccesary, and annoying.

ShawnMilo
Shawn_Milo
Regular

Re: typematrix

Postby nomaded » 03 Mar 2006, 22:13

Shawn_Milo wrote:But a staggered layout is just stupid, harmful, inconvenient, unneccesary, and annoying.

Hear! Hear!
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Previous

Return to Off-topic discussions