[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
fingerfans.dreamhosters.com • View topic - Customize! Using gesture editor is a must

Customize! Using gesture editor is a must

Comments specifically about typing on TS keyboards, and about key layouts.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Customize! Using gesture editor is a must

Postby ivanw » 02 Mar 2006, 15:36

Last edited by ivanw on 15 Mar 2008, 00:50, edited 2 times in total.
ivanw
Zealot

use both sides

Postby dongadoy » 08 Mar 2006, 17:41

I feel the same way about moving keys closer to home row. All keys should be within one key of home row! But you're only using half of your keyboard. You're using your right hand a lot more than your left.

I have right-hand chords that turn on the numberpad, punctpad, and symbolpad. That doubles the number of available keys. On the punctpad, I moved all the symbols above the numbers down a row, and put all the other symbols on home row and below. On the symbolpad, I put funtion keys, ctrl function keys, and ctrl numberkeys on home row, above, and below. And the left side of the numberpad gets all kinds of macros.

All other keys, like the Shift, Alt, Ctrl, Windows, Popup, and cursor navigation, have gestures.

Touchstream and the Gesture Editor are amazing!

PS. I love your images of your key layouts.
Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby ivanw » 08 Mar 2006, 19:36

Thanks dongadoy for your comments about this not so successful topic of mine. You are one of the very few who did have some thoughts about where to go from here...

True, for the moment, I've restricted chording activity to my left hand for the most part. You remark just made me realized this unbalanced feature. But this is so just because I am considering that it is still a work in progress. I thought I would consume all left chording possibilities before I would continue with the mirrored combinations... In fact my posts about this customization was meant to collect ideas like yours along the way. At this time, it looks like it took more time than I thought it would. At last, you are giving me something to think about... :)

Anyway, it is important to live with a customized feature for some time before you know if you really can use it or not. I have been very exited with some that looked amazing while I was adjusting them and after a while, I realized that I did no used them...

It is not the case with this layout. I type most of these symbols without even thinking about what my hands are doing. The bad side is that when I type on any other keyboard, I have one more reason to hate it! And this will be true with any other keyboard no matter how good it is :cry:

I know that I am not even allowed to dream of another keyboard with this level of customization. It is not that it is technically impossible. Thinking of the AutoHotKey you mentioned in , I think that this could simply be one way to do exactly this: bring everything near the home row with chording. I have not yet read everything about AutoHotKey but I am going there very soon. This make me thing about little but addictive software tools like and .

This is just a hot answer to your message. You have obviously built a sense of working the subject. This means that we surely have considered the same issues and may have handled them with a different solution or a different flavour of the same solution. I had to think about many different ways to do the same thing. Yet, some of my decisions were just one of those which could have been rejected only because I had to decide :? -- And, in an alternate reality, I decided another way :wink:

I still have to fill up all the mirror nearly empty layout. I did use some of the SymbolPad right chording for some Text Macros as I illustrated in -- email, address, telephone and a password.

Now that you make me think about it, I am still missing combinations like CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-SomeKey...

And all these unused possibilities, what an unbearable waste of resources! Coming back soon...
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 08 Mar 2006, 20:49

Poor tortured souls.

There may come a day when we will have to include an intervention and detox service for those that become overwhelmed with TouchStreamism.

TouchStreamers Anonymous anyone?
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 08 Mar 2006, 22:40

ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 09 Mar 2006, 21:25

Not making fun, more like comiserating with my fellow addicts.

You are right about the tablets. If I were to ever lose my TSs, my first choice would be for a tablet again. I'd still need a keyboard for typing, but at least I would have more than 3 buttons to work with. Might even be able to use the various softwares we have found to add to its functionality.

We do need to find a lifetime solution for this dilemna. How many FWers are there? Could we incorporate and generate enough funds to commision our own? What would it take?

ps: perhaps you have not gotten so much feedback on your topic, but believe me, your information is invaluable and much appreciated. Someday when I have more time, I hope to contribute more.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 09 Mar 2006, 23:04

I knew you were with me. 8) as we suffer from the same disorder, some attraction for futile achievement. We could just take a nap instead, chances are we would not get ourselves into trouble like we do :roll:
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 10 Mar 2006, 21:54

Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Juggler » 18 Mar 2006, 01:15

The Juggler
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 18 Mar 2006, 16:52

Last edited by ivanw on 15 Mar 2008, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby The Juggler » 18 Mar 2006, 21:47

The Juggler
Familiar

Return to Typing and Layouts