How to enable all gestures, independent of current OS Mode?

Support about issues that aren't clearly in one of the above areas.

Moderator: The00Dustin

How to enable all gestures, independent of current OS Mode?

Postby jwr » 03 Jan 2007, 11:44

So, how do I enable ALL gestures in all OS modes?

I've gotten used to left-hand Emacs gestures (thumb+2 fingers), but now after having moved from Linux to a Mac, I mostly use the keyboard in Mac mode. But why oh why did someone decide that in Mac mode the Emacs gestures aren't necessary? What about us Emacs users on the Mac?

Does anybody know how to make all gestures work in Mac mode as well, or will I have to forego the nice switching between Linux and Mac and just reprogram my Emacs mode for the Mac only?
--J.
jwr
Familiar

Re: How to enable all gestures, independent of current OS Mo

Postby ivanw » 03 Jan 2007, 14:48

jwr wrote:Does anybody know how to make all gestures work in Mac mode as well, or will I have to forego the nice switching between Linux and Mac and just reprogram my Emacs mode for the Mac only?

You have to edit your customization file:
  • C:\Documents and Settings\ivan\My Documents\MyGestures\jwr.xml
Removing all driverContext attributes like this:
  • driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs ...whatever"
This should cancel any restriction for the related gestures and that's it ...if you don't care having different mappings for these gestures.

This goes for your personal customization but if you want to have this applied over default gestures, you have to patch default configuration files as well. Those are in the library run-time archive:
  • C:\program files\FingerWorks\lib\FW_defaults.jar
(I did not play with this last one though)

Please, keep us posted about the outcome of your mutation...
ivanw
Zealot

Hmm.

Postby jwr » 03 Jan 2007, 18:40

Hmm, I'm not sure if that will work. Here's what I currently have for these gestures (a sample):

Code: Select all
        <ChordTemplate macro_name="Emacs IDE (Neutral)" lib="user" speed_param_ref="Medium Command-Gesture Sensitivity">

<GestureCategories list=" emacs_op" />

<Slide macro_name="Move Down  {in Emacs IDE (Neutral)}" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Move Down" oneShot="true">

<KeyEvent keyCode="X" modifiers="LeftCtrl" driverContext=" emacs" />

<KeyEvent keyCode="O" driverContext=" emacs" />

<KeyEvent keyCode="X" modifiers="LeftCtrl" driverContext=" mac" />

<KeyEvent keyCode="O" driverContext=" mac" />

</Slide>
 [...]

As you can see, the events that are to be generated are duplicated -- both for emacs and mac modes. They work fine when the keyboard is in emacs mode, but they don't when it's in mac mode.

It seems to me that there is another restriction somewhere -- I'm hoping it isn't built into the keyboard firmware logic itself.
--J.
jwr
Familiar

Re: Hmm.

Postby ivanw » 03 Jan 2007, 19:01

jwr wrote:(...) They work fine when the keyboard is in emacs mode, but they don't when it's in mac mode.

:idea: Then, could it be so because the OS does not report as "mac" anymore?
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Other troubleshooting