How do I install FW utilities on Windows 8.1?

Support about issues that aren't clearly in one of the above areas.

Moderator: The00Dustin

How do I install FW utilities on Windows 8.1?

Postby HeresYourWriter » 23 Sep 2014, 19:41

I just got a replacement touchstream and need to change the configuration. I've downloaded the software, but my Windows 8 machine can't even figure out what to do with a .bin file. Is there a utility you can recommend to bridge that gap?
Thanks!
--Sharon
HeresYourWriter

Re: How do I install FW utilities on Windows 8.1?

Postby The00Dustin » 24 Sep 2014, 11:54

For starters, if you have a .bin file, you don't have the Windows version of the utilities to begin with. Beyond that, I got the utilities running in Windows 7 once upon a time, but it was tricky and didn't do any good because there are no drivers for Windows 7. Here is my post explaining why it isn't a very viable option to make them work on newer Windows OSes. That having been said, there is much discussion about running them from a virtual machine, and this is most likely the route you would need to take if you don't have access to an old computer. Here is a thread started by Torben (the owner/operator of this forum) regarding using a virtual machine to do this. Start with that thread, and if it doesn't have everything you need, and assuming your computer supports whatever is necessary to pass through USB devices to a virtual machine, perhaps he can be of more help next time he is online (he's definitely not on the forum every day, so be patient).
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Other troubleshooting