Spurious random keystrokes

Support about issues that aren't clearly in one of the above areas.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Spurious random keystrokes

Postby lee griggs » 13 Feb 2012, 12:27

Hi, I have noticed when typing my TS is producing some random key strokes.

I have noticed the cable is starting to fray and I am wondering if that is the connection.

The whole hand rest gesture seems to reset it temporarily but the problem usually returns.

I cleaned the keyboard which helped temporarily but then it returned again.

Any suggestions? Do I need to open the device, reset the device etc_?

regards,
?ee (see what I mean :))
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Re: Spurious random keystrokes

Postby dongadoy » 13 Feb 2012, 14:52

Caution! Spurious output from the keyboard could be from static electricity. It's very much the time of year for that in the northern hemisphere, and it's constantly a worry. I've lost two Touchstreams to static zaps. Find some way to discharge yourself before getting near the keyboard. I have a grounded wire beside my keyboard and I've trained myself to touch the wire before touching the keyboard.

Sorry to hear about your cable. Attach the cable in some way so it never moves; though it might be too late for that advice.
Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby lee griggs » 13 Feb 2012, 18:31

of course! I am always getting static shocks in this office.

Thanks mate, will try to find a way to ground myself.

Cheers,
Lee
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby nomaded » 13 Feb 2012, 19:14

A while back, with my Stealth, I found the best way to relieve stress on the cable where it exits the keyboard was to make a loop and tape it to the bottom of the keyboard. That way, any side-to-side stress on the cable was at the point that the cable was taped to the keyboard, and not at the keyboard exit.

But back to the original subject - yes, spurious key presses is very much caused by static due to atmospheric conditions. I wonder if grounding the surface of the pads would help at all. I'm curious how Apple fixed this issue.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby dongadoy » 13 Feb 2012, 19:57

The only multitouch pads I've seen have been wireless - no ground for discharging. Maybe that's how Apple fixed the issue.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby lee griggs » 14 Feb 2012, 10:36

> I found the best way to relieve stress on the cable where it exits the keyboard was to make a loop and tape it to the bottom of the keyboard

I am trying to picture this. Do you mean make a loop of tape and tape that around the cable and to the underside of the keyboard?

I know my colleague has problems with his iphone earpiece that he is sure is caused by static in this office.
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby dongadoy » 15 Feb 2012, 13:23

Attach the keyboard to the keyboard stand with double-sided tape, or glue, or velcro. Make a loop in the cable near the keyboard. Make the loop big enough so half of the loop is under the keyboard stand and the connection to the cable is not stressed. Tape the cable under the keyboard with heavy duty tape like duct tape. Object of this exercise is to get the whole setup so the connection between the cable and the keyboard does not move when the keyboard moves.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby nomaded » 24 Feb 2012, 20:21

lee griggs wrote:> I found the best way to relieve stress on the cable where it exits the keyboard was to make a loop and tape it to the bottom of the keyboard

I am trying to picture this. Do you mean make a loop of tape and tape that around the cable and to the underside of the keyboard?

Here's a photo of the bottom of my Stealth, via Flickr. It's pretty much what dongadoy described, except that I didn't need the extra step of mounting the TouchStream to the stand. I'm using Gaffers tape. Duct tape will work for this.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Return to Other troubleshooting