No FingerWorks Devices Found - Linux 2.6.32

Support about issues that aren't clearly in one of the above areas.

Moderator: The00Dustin

No FingerWorks Devices Found - Linux 2.6.32

Postby jarrodl » 09 May 2010, 11:43

Hi,

I (finally) managed to install the Multitouch Utilities (v 1.60) with the help of this page: http://riskable.com/?p=176

I had to use the version with Java in it - the system java wouldn't work.

However, now that I actually have the tools running, they all say "No FingerWorks Devices Found".

The keyboard is working (I am typing with it now!).

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 - linux 2.6.32.

I suspect a change in the way the linux kernel reports USB information - but am not sure.

Has anybody managed to work around this?
jarrodl
Hang-around

Postby ivanw » 10 May 2010, 18:58

Thanks for sharing about this. And Yes, the keyboard will always work but you'll need to get your hands on an old Windows version to customize it.

That's not so hard anyway: You need a small partition where you can install XP into and a multi-boot configuration using bcdedit with I7 and you're done.
Last edited by ivanw on 11 May 2010, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby The00Dustin » 10 May 2010, 23:44

I would say if the Linux kernel has been changed, then you could probably boot with an older kernel just for the purpose of using the Linux version of the FW drivers. In that scenario, you could potentially use the same partitions you already have for your install. Alternatively, perhaps you could build a lite version that would boot on a floppy, CD, or USB stick. In either scenario, I am sure there would be multiple forum users who would appreciate the opportunity to copy or download your work, so if you are capable of doing something like that, be sure to post back here and possibly post the files on the main page.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

VICTORY!!!

Postby jarrodl » 30 May 2010, 19:04

After much playing around - I have finally managed to find a Linux version that will run it!

What I did:

Install QEMU: sudo aptitude install ubuntu-virt-server (for Ubuntu 10.04 - vary for your distribution).

Download KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso. This is *very* hard to find. The important piece of magic is that it is running a 2.4 generation kernel (2.4.24-xfs, in particular). Knoppix 3.4 is too recent.

Download setupfw160.bin. Get the one with Java in it.

Create a "disk": tar cf fw.tar setup160fw.bin /bin/bash <-- The /bin/bash is in there to pad out the file, as only full 4K pages will be mapped when we use this as a disk. I don't know if that is necessary or not.

Figure out the USB device ID: lsusb. You are looking for two four-digit hex numbers, the first of which is 0e97. For example, my TouchStream ST/LP is 0e97:090b

Boot the CD: sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2048 -cdrom KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso -sdl -usb -usbdevice host:0e97:090b -hda fw.tar

Notes on the above:
You probably don't need to use the 64bit qemu
-m 2048: 2GB RAM. Way more than necessary.
-hda fw.tar: you can instead set up networking

After X has started in the VM, you should be able to interact with the VM using the Fingerworks keyboard. The Fingerworks Keyboard will *not* work in the host anymore - So make sure you have another keyboard/mouse!

In the VM: sudo tar xvf /dev/hda

In the VM: chmod a+x setupfw160.bin

In the VM: ./setupfw160.bin. Install to the default location. Use the Java provided by the Fingerworks installer, not the system one.

In the VM: ./FingerWorks/MultiTouch_Utilities

Configure!!!

After shutting down the VM, you will have to re-plug the Fingerworks keyboard to get it to be re-recognised by the host O/S.

If you want to copy an .xml file into the system, add in into your tarball *before* the /bin/bash.

If you decide to set up the VM with Networking, you can of course copy setupfw160.bin that way, instead of creating the tarball and using "-hda fw.tar".

I have not worked out a way to copy a modified .xml file out of the VM - I haven't needed to yet - but it shouldn't be hard. Some method of dumping it back out over /dev/hda would be the easiest, assuming that you, like me, didn't want the hassle if dealing with networking.
Last edited by jarrodl on 30 May 2010, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
jarrodl
Hang-around

Followup...

Postby jarrodl » 30 May 2010, 19:27

At the time of my previous post, I had only used the Diagnostics tool, and the feature selector.

Turns out a little bit more is necessary to upgrade the firmware, or to upload a custom gesture set.

To do these operations, the keyboard has to enter a configuration mode - which it turns out means disconnecting from the host, and then reconnecting *with a different ID*.

So, firstly you need to discover the new ID. In the VM, attempt a firmware upgrade, or to update the gesture set. This operation will fail.

In the host, run lsusb again to find the new ID. For my ST/LP, it was 0e97:0900.

If you started your VM with a way to access the monitor (QEMU's control interface - i.e. "qemu ... -monitor stdio") then you can issue the command "usb_add host:0e97:0900". Otherwise you will need to quit the VM, and start it again with the extra options "-usbdevice host:0e97:0900"

You will need to disconnect and reconnect the Fingerworks device (it is still in configuration mode).

Now you can try the upgrade or gesture update again, and this time it should work!
jarrodl
Hang-around

Postby ken gray » 01 Jun 2010, 03:17

thanks for the update...hopefully we'll all get new Apple touch keyboards this summer 8.0) (no, I haven't heard anything! but a boy can dream can't he??!).
A blog on coding and automation.
<a href='http://www.themacrohook.blogspot.com'>The Macro Hook</a>
ken gray
Site Admin

Re: No FingerWorks Devices Found - Linux 2.6.32

Postby TorbenGB » 09 Mar 2011, 21:24

Update: This topic continues over here!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to Other troubleshooting