Transfer to device - should we be careful?

Support about issues that aren't clearly in one of the above areas.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Transfer to device - should we be careful?

Postby ivanw » 24 Sep 2005, 10:42

I would like to experiment a lot with customization but I don't know whether the number of writes to the device memory has a price and if it is 100% safe or not.
I did not find any information about the flash memory used by FW.
If anyone has ever opened one of these, let us know what you've seen or make pictures. Any intel about hardware may become useful.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 24 Sep 2005, 21:16

I've got two of the buggers and so, though they weren't cheap, I feel confident enough to at least partially dissassemble one of them. I'll take photos on the way in and post them. It'll probably be a month or so before I will have the time for such distractions so don't hold your breath.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 24 Sep 2005, 22:12

No way please don't do that! :shock: Just wait for some failure, so you won't take any chance to damage this thing with no good reason!
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Will » 02 Mar 2007, 00:56

Even if they used cheap old flash memory, it will survive at least 10.000 erase cycles, which should be more than enough in any case ;)
Will
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 02 Mar 2007, 01:40

Alright, when I was wondering about that, I had no idea what could be the low limit for the technology. It's not that I know much better but if it were an issue, we would hear some about it...

This means that we can play with the editor and try any macro editing as soon as we come up with some fancy idea.

I used to do that for a few months after I start using my TS. Currently I am in the middle of teaching myself to touch-type seriously on a "normal" keyboard. This means that I did not explore customization as deeply as I would have with a TS being my primary input device.

My MS Ergo Kb 4000, my Logitech MX Rev, StrokeIt and Autohothey combo keeps me busy with a very smart environment right now. I'm still planing to become a proficient typist but I wonder whether it was a good idea to consider I could learn to type over 80wpm before I make the FW keyboard my default working tool.

I'm pretty sure I would never have transposed any good typing skills from TS to standard keyboard. Yet, I know that the opposite is true. When your fingers know their place, it definitely helps with the TS...

I used to hunt&peck for 20years+ until 2005. Now, I don't need to look to my fingers anymore for more than one year. I still have to make much less mistakes and let my fingers free to shape my words by themselves. I can feel that slowly coming. What I sense too is that this kind of improvement can spread over decades and I don't have many of those to spend on this :wink: ...
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Other troubleshooting