Posture

Comments specifically about ergonomics of the FW products (vs. others).

Moderator: The00Dustin

Posture

Postby lee griggs » 08 Nov 2006, 13:17

does anyone find that using their touchstreams alters their posture?

I am finding that having my hands so close together is bringing my shoulders forward and rounding them. This in turn is shortening my pec muscles which constantly need stretching.

I would look into lengthening the ribbon connector, only it would mean the tent stand would be useless and would make it hard to balance on my lap when needs be.
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby ken gray » 08 Nov 2006, 14:32

I haven't noticed it. it's further apart than any of my other keyboards so it opened me up rather than forcing my shoulders together.
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby RAFH » 08 Nov 2006, 19:31

I agree, I'd much prefer a wider spacing. I have quite broad shoulders (I am such a manly man) so it does feel like I am squinching myself up.

As for the stand, since I seriously type pretty much in one place, a new stand is not a problem. I am thinking of making a new platform for my TS, one with an integral stand and perhaps bluetooth or other wireless capability. I just hate wires hanging all over. I figure to spread the boards apart by another 2".

My big obstacle is replacing the ribbon. Just how hard and how risky is replacing the ribbon? I couldn't bear losing one of my TS, especially just for a bit more comfort.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby jmadison » 08 Nov 2006, 20:56

RAFH, how do you plan to make your TS wireless? I've been wanting to do exactly that for a long time, but I can't seem to find something that plugs in to both the keyboard USB and the computer USB, a receiver/transmitter combo. I would love to purchase something like that, wrap up my TS cord into my tent stand, and be wireless.

About the beginning of this thread, I agree... I'd love to have a wider spacing of the left and right pads. I remember this being quite the topic on the original FingerWorks forum. In fact, there was a poll once about what length you'd prefer. Some folks wanted it to be greater than 4 feet, so that they could wrap the wire around the back of their chair, and have the pads mounted to the arm rests. Myself, I'd be content with about a 4-6 inch spacing, but I'm not ready to replace the cable unless I damage it. If I do ever damage it, I'll definitely replace it with a longer one.
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby RAFH » 09 Nov 2006, 20:08

That's been my hangup as well. I think the solution is to buy a cheap wireless mouse or keyboard and cannibalize it. Seems nobody makes a transmitter dongle, just receivers.

One other option is a wireless USB hub. Belkin makes one, several others as well. Unfortunately, you are still left with the need for power. That's not too much of a problem, especially in my case, because it will be a fairly substantial bit of kit anyway so I just build in an array of batteries, rechargeable, natch. Still, this all is pretty cost intensive.

I just wonder if it wouldn't be possible to use a typical Bluetooth or other wireless dongle and intercept the power leads. What I am saying is you have a standard wireless dongle that fits a USB port, make up or modify a female to male USB adaptor to bring in power for the TS from a battery pack and then plug the TS into it.

I just don't know. I am open to ideas, suggestions, cash advances, land donations, old classic cars, whatever.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby RAFH » 09 Nov 2006, 20:11

On the cable length and replacement, I am right there with you. I am not up to chancing my TS unnecessarily, but if the cable goes, it will get (or at least will be attempted) replaced with 6" or so.

It would have been so nice if they had just put locking ports in place of the cables. Oh well, hey, they did the hard stuff, right?
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Return to Ergonomics