Of all the OSes...

Comments specifically about gestures and mouse actions - on any FW product.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Postby TorbenGB » 14 Jun 2005, 21:55

I can only answer about Windows 2K&XP: No hesitation there.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby JerryKnight » 16 Jun 2005, 00:23

It's probably related to the left-click delay that often plagues X11. It's the way it processes the events sent by the TS. Try the "pinky-clicking" or non-game mode mouse buttons, whatever they called it. It usually has no delay, even when the mysterious delay is present with normal clicking.
JerryKnight
Hang-around

Re: Of all the OSes...

Postby ken gray » 16 Jun 2005, 13:36

Kancept wrote:I use my Touchstream in OS/2....

GAAHHHHH!!!!!!! :shock:
i just read this again! Ive offen wondered how OS/2 (read the greatest undeveloped OS in the world) would work on a real machine. i bought 3 and then upgraded to the full version of the one with all the voice recognition (i think it was 4) then i was uncerimoniously kicked off the bus when IBM ended it (except for the military and banks).
So what are you using it for?
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby Will » 04 Jul 2005, 18:16

In OSX it doesn't hesitate, either.
Will
Familiar

Only on remote usage

Postby staygood » 07 Jul 2005, 19:06

It hesitates for me on remote controlled Windows boxes through Chicken of the VNC running on Mac OS X (Tiger). When clicking on a button in Windows, the button stays depressed until I move the mouse with the iGesture. For right-clicks, the context menu doesn't appear until I move the cursor with the iGesture. Frequently when that happens I also lose the Backspace and Enter keys on the keyboard (just a normal keyboard) for a while until I play with the iGesture some more.

No problems with Mac OS X itself, just the remote-controlled Windows boxes.
staygood
Familiar

Re: heh

Postby Jbuffalo » 11 Jul 2005, 00:34

Kancept wrote:I think the only macro I've edited in the copy one so I could get mouse feedback for a copy.

Sounds like a really good idea!
Might I ask: "What exactly have you done?" :D
Jbuffalo
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 11 Jul 2005, 09:51

Jbuffalo wrote:
Kancept wrote:I think the only macro I've edited in the copy one so I could get mouse feedback for a copy.

I did the same: just add a vertical wiggle event after the copy event, and then you can see that you did copy something. Cut and Paste don't need visual hints, obviously, but the Copy command does. That was the very first (hmm, and only?) edit I ever made.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby Jbuffalo » 12 Aug 2005, 01:55

TorbenGB wrote:
Jbuffalo wrote:

I did the same: just add a vertical wiggle event after the copy event, and then you can see that you did copy something. Cut and Paste don't need visual hints, obviously, but the Copy command does. That was the very first (hmm, and only?) edit I ever made.

Ohh ... internal funtions -> pointer feedback!

Cool
Jbuffalo
Hang-around

Re: Linux delayed click/drag problem

Postby Msquared » 13 Sep 2005, 17:33

Kancept wrote:But there is always a noticeable hesitation in right clicking anything in Linux. Just me or have others seen this behaviour?

Are you using Fedora Core 3 or 4?

Everything is fine under Fedora Core 1, but under FC3 or FC4 (not sure about FC2), whenever I do a drag operation (such as using three right fingers to click/drag), there is a noticable delay, so it doesn't actually grap where the pointer is.

It's very frustrating, since I have the right X-winder gesture mapped to super-mouse, which moves the window under the cursor. If I move a little quick to start and I'm near the edge of the window I want to move, I might move onto another window before grabbing it.

Using game mode clicks, though, solves it for normal click/drag things (except the X-winder gesture I mentioned), but I need a real solution.

Do keystrokes and mouse events move through the internal event queues at different rates, or something?? I don't know. I might have to play with the sequence of keys, presses, and holds, or something in order to make it work.

Grrr. :-(
Msquared
Familiar

Re: Linux delayed click/drag problem - SOLUTION

Postby Msquared » 14 Sep 2005, 05:12

Msquared wrote:
Kancept wrote:But there is always a noticeable hesitation in right clicking anything in Linux. Just me or have others seen this behaviour?

Everything is fine under Fedora Core 1, but under FC3 or FC4 (not sure about FC2), whenever I do a drag operation (such as using three right fingers to click/drag), there is a noticable delay, so it doesn't actually grab where the pointer is.

I found a solution that worked for me. Make sure Emulate3Buttons is off in the section of XF86Config or xorg.conf that describes your mouse. For example:

Code: Select all
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection
Msquared
Familiar

Return to Mousing and Gesturing