OS mode switching oddities

Comments specifically about gestures and mouse actions - on any FW product.

Moderator: The00Dustin

OS mode switching oddities

Postby lee griggs » 16 Apr 2006, 15:26

Hello,

I am experimenting with switching between different os modes - specifically holding a different mode (any) and then going back to windows when I release.

The trouble is seems to be screwing with the thumb clicking (outside game
It does this with emacs/mac/linux mode (not sure how to access custom mode through an internal gesture as its not there. Also, how does it know which mac/linux mode is being activated as there are more than one in the front OS and mouse window??

I would have searched the fingerworks forum but the search there doesnt seem to be working now.

cheers,
lee
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby ivanw » 16 Apr 2006, 17:59

We don't need them to restore the search page, just try this Google search and you will get more than 500 answers:
switch OS site:forums.fingerworks.com

You can also search our archive of FWSF:
The Google query field will give you more than 170 links to explore on FingerFans site...
* Gigablast is still not working though, we have to send an email to have them correct a bug in their search engine...
...No results found in collection 'main2' for...

Let us know what you get anyway
ivanw
Zealot

Postby lee griggs » 17 Apr 2006, 17:32

well Ivan, I have checked through both forum sites and there seems to be little that I can relate to with regards to swapping OS's.

I was wondering if you would be able to have a go with my gestures at swapping between different OS modes to see if you get the same problem?

I have noticed that it has also deleted some of my tap gestures. They are there in the gesture editor but when I select the tap gesture, there is nothing there!

Incidentally, would you know how easy it would be to 'copy and paste' my entire windows gestures into the mac gesture mode? Is this possible outside the gesture editor?

thanks again for all your help,
lee
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby ivanw » 17 Apr 2006, 18:17

lee griggs wrote:Incidentally, would you know how easy it would be to 'copy and paste' my entire windows gestures into the mac gesture mode? Is this possible outside the gesture editor?

You can edit your gestures.xml file with any text editor (better Notepad that WinWord though :wink: -- keep it ascii). (A good idea here is to save a backup copy)
When you're done, you can reload it in MyGestureEditior: File-Revert to last saved will do!

You won't even have to cut/paste anything...

Gestures may be specified on a per-OS basis. Making them OS-independant is a matter of deleting the driverContext xml-attribute of those xml-elements (i.e. gesture) you want to modify.

When you see something like this:

<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Replace" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs"/>

...you can remove the attribute="value" pair altogether to make the gesture independent of any OS.
You can also add mac to those that are currently only qualified for win
ivanw
Zealot

Postby lee griggs » 06 May 2006, 16:46

ok, so what would be the easiest thing to do? Would it be easy to go in and add mac to:

<MacroRefEvent>

should I change it to be:

<MacroRefEvent>

...you can remove the attribute="value" pair altogether to make the gesture independent of any OS.
You can also add mac to those that are currently only qualified for win

sorry, what is the 'attribute=value pair' ?

I am still not sure how to 'add' a gesture outside the gesture editor that runs on mac only mode?

I want to duplicate my entire gesture library from windows to say mac mode, except I want my two finger release to not click on release.

thanks for your patience Ivan,

cheers,
lee

[/quote]
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby ivanw » 06 May 2006, 18:27

:!: There is a bug in the forum subject editor: it eats everything you put before a > sign!

sorry, what is the attribute=value pair

In driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs" (from my previous example)
- driverContext is the attribute
- "mac custom_os linux unix emacs" is the value

I am still not sure how to 'add' a gesture outside the gesture editor that runs on mac only mode?

This one will work only when you select mac OS:
    MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Replace" driverContext=" mac"
This one will work only when you select windows OS:
    MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Replace" driverContext=" win"
This one will work for any selected operating system (attribute=value pair removed):
    MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Replace"
I want to duplicate my entire gesture library from windows to say mac mode, except I want my two finger release to not click on release.

With notepad:
:arrow: - Remove all driverContext="..." from your xml file.

With MyGestureEditor:
:arrow: - Remove SynctapEvents 'Cick' Events
:arrow: - Check Win in OS Mode Filter
:arrow: - Add Button 1 ----- Click ----- (duration =50ms)
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Mousing and Gesturing