increasing numbers

Comments specifically about gestures and mouse actions - on any FW product.

Moderator: The00Dustin

increasing numbers

Postby lee griggs » 08 Feb 2006, 22:34

I would love to be able to assign a gesture slide to increase numbers in a number field.

ie up arrow would increase numbers from 0 to 100

does anyone know if this is possible ?

maybe there is a program out there that lets you assign this function to different keys and therefore it would work with gestures ??

cheers.
lee
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby Rqyteqto » 08 Feb 2006, 23:05

Don't know of anything off-hand but its got to be possible. This would apply not only to numbers but any field or list. As such it would be extremely useful in lots of ways.

Great idea Lee.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Re: increasing numbers

Postby ivanw » 09 Feb 2006, 00:12

lee griggs wrote:I would love to be able to assign a gesture slide to increase numbers in a number field.
ie up arrow would increase numbers from 0 to 100
(...)

I see several required abilities in this process that seem to be missing:

One of the basic topics to consider in order to perform this task it the notion of the current value that has to be incremented. The TS has no access to anything you see on your screen. Even a value you would have typed in with the keyboard is for ever out of sight for it. Such function would be easy to implement though. The caps-word handler has a notion of what you are doing but I did not find anything in MyGesture Editor about some internal function related to what's being typed in.

The second topic would be to replace any current field-value or list-selection. Would it be Select-All then replace with the incremented value? i.e. CTRL-A then type-in the new value ? That would be fine for a form-field but not in any larger text-area. Everything would be replaced! Not good!

These devices are so smart that it is easy to forget they are just keyboards. Still, the idea is worth some investigation...

Maybe we could use all these keycodes defined by PS2 and USB specification: scancode.doc :?:
You find them in the editor at the end of the Key Stroke Event Type list, near Volume Up, Base Boost, Rewind, Eject, Web Bookmarks, etc.
All these address smart high-level capabilities. Who knows, maybe something can be done around here... :roll:

:wink: I attached Volume Up-Down to Left-5FRotate (alias Adobe Zoom) -- It looks like I am turning an invisible big knob and the green volume slidebar pops up and the sound is adjusted like magic. Incrementing numbers would be a good complement!
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 09 Feb 2006, 16:57

Couldn't that Volume Up/Down be directed to something other than the sound system? If so, you have it.

I don't see where you need to know existing state, just that you want to increase/decrease that state. Like the infinite volume controls, twist to the right, volume increases, twist to the left, volume decreases.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 09 Feb 2006, 17:39

I would agree if we were talking to some object smart enough to be able to understand something like increase and decrease.
As it is not the case, I was rather conservative in this first approach.
At first sight, we have to deal with dumb text-fields and text-areas with notepad-like editor capabilities. :(
The only smart things around here are the TS and the user, thanks Windows and other Operating Systems.
- You cannot have smart and money at the same place.
- WE have money, so we must increment our numbers ourselves. :evil:
ivanw
Zealot

part way there

Postby lee griggs » 12 Feb 2006, 11:59

ok, Ive managed to do something. Its far from perfect, but it will speed up a lot of the usual day to day numbers that I end up typing in maya/photoshop.

These are all on Thumb + 1 Fingertip, left hand (for the moment):

. = chord tap
1 = chord hold (350 minimum hold time)
0 = rotate hand clockwise (1.0 motion speed)
tab = chord release

If I want to type 1, 10, 100, 1000 etc I just hold down slightly longer to get the 1 in front of the 0's.

If I want 20, 200, 2000 etc I use the numbers on my right hand and then slide quicker on the left to get the 0's on the end.

The tab enables me to type many numbers in different field boxes within maya ie when Ive finished the slide it goes onto the next one when I release my hand.

The fullstop is for 0.1, 0.2 etc

I already have 1-9 on my right hand which I use in conjunction with the above on my left hand.

I had to experiment a lot with 1 (minimum hold time)
and the motion speed of 0, but for now it seems to hold up without too much grief.

It would be nice to get - minus in there somewhere, trouble is the tab is enabled whenever I release which makes more than one gesture on the same fingers a problem.

This is early days, but If anyone has any recommendations or ways to improve this, I am all ears. :)
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Postby ivanw » 12 Feb 2006, 16:05

Lee, I knew that, I knew that from the beginning :!: ...magic has definitely nothing to do with computers and you've made this obvious here. I am really comfortable with the idea that we have to take these machines as tools, clever tools alright but they still are some kind of super screwdrivers.

With some complement of mine, I've derived a tricky effect with what you've invented here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(As I have already tuned my Thumb+Pinky (L Spread) gesture, I've modified my unused Paragraph Alignment gesture here)
I kept the chord hold :arrow: 1
...and introduced these two:
Image Move Right :arrow: 0000000
Image Move Left :arrow: Backspace
Just try it! It's really funny to add and remove zeros so easily!
I found that the embedded Tab from chord release was rather disturbing because it puts an end to what you are doing. When you entered the wrong number of zeros, you have to back-tab to make the correction.
:idea: So, I've use the chord tap as a very comfortable way to activate a Tab by myself. Hence, you can use it with the Right Shift chord to navigate backward.
I've lately added a Select all call at gesture lift-off so we can replace the selected contents right away if necessary.

Thank you lee for the original idea and let us know how you complement these gestures.

• Gesture Map 'ivanw.xml' [ win qwerty]
  • LIB_FormFill.xml:
    <xml>
    <DOCTYPE>
    <MTS_config>
    <RequireLib>
    <MacroLibrary>
    <ChordTemplate>
    <GestureCategories>
    <SynctapEvents> <KeyEvent> </SynctapEvents>
    <ChordHoldEvents> <KeyEvent> </ChordHoldEvents>
    <ChordLiftEvents> <MacroRefEvent> </ChordLiftEvents>