Gesture tips anyone ?

Comments specifically about gestures and mouse actions - on any FW product.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Gesture tips anyone ?

Postby ivanw » 14 Dec 2005, 12:29

I've just discovered something I want to share as I would have liked to get this kind of tip if some TS user found it before I did.

I think that some of the TouchStream owners already know about this but they did not think that it would have been a good idea to share it here.

Here it is: A worth mentioning burden with gestures is about Finger Arrangement. This is specified by the Chording Type attribute in the editor. There are two of them: Neutral and Spread.
They triggers two distinct collections of gestures. Sometimes, just to make sure, I tend to emphasise the spreading. When I do that, it works fine but it is not very comfortable and natural. Most of the time I hit the tablet border and that's a bad feeling.

Thinking about all I've read from Wayne Westerman's Dissertation on how gestures get recognized, I came up with the following idea:
  • Finger combination is recognized at the very beginning of the sliding when it happens less than 400ms after first finger touchdown. The idea is to wait this amount of time and lift all fingers but one before making the slide. And ... this works perfectly! Well no surprise here, it just had to :roll:

I feel this will make the difference right away with my gesturing... Just try one. I have a Minimize Window gesture needing 3F + thumb. I cover the whole right pad when I start this one. Now, I only slide my pinky and the window flies away.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 14 Dec 2005, 20:05

If I correctly understand your point, what you are stating is once the gesture has been recognized (ie - 400 ms or for practical purposes, an instant), its only necessary to maintain a single point of contact.

If that's your point, its well taken. But I see your observation that many users would feel its such a basic issue as to not require statement. While that may be true to experienced users, new users (though that's becoming an endangered species) might not realize it.

I remember well when I finally realized that it was only necessary to maintain some contact, not the full gesture. My big bugaboo was dragging objects. With a big screen with high resolution and big paws like mine its easy to run out of dragging room on the pads. Then I found out I could drag in relays, so to speak. Start the gesture, slide a single digit as far as it could go, establish contact with second digit at starting point (opposite side or corner), lift and retract the original sliding digit, re-establish contact with original digit, lift secondary digit and slide, baby, slide. Rinse and repeat as required. I could now drag something from 0, 0 in the upper left corner (crazy graphics people coordinates - 0, 1200 normal vector coordinates) and slide all the way down to the bottom right corner at 1920, 1200 (or in real coordinates 1920, 0). Might take three slides, sometimes I just sort of paddle my cursor over the distance, using all my digits one at a time.

Gives new meaning and insight to the term 'Fingerworks' 'cause dem liddle buggers be working, an' I be meanin' hard.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 14 Dec 2005, 22:05

Yea, I am pretty sure that most of us knew already about what I've described here - and I am one of them :wink:

What I've re-discovered is the not so obvious tensing that comes from the care for accuracy. Another way to explain what I am up to could be by saying that the accuracy concerns only the touchdown part of gestures. If you make a short break before the sliding part, you can be quite careless as to how many fingers are involved.

To make the difference between a "normal relaxed" way to do that and the way I think of it now, I would make sure to use only one finger for the slide part of ALL gestures. The natural way makes us control our fingers disposition in a quite useless striving effort.

The logic does not look at our gestures the way we do. After touchdown, there are only two things that matter: direction and rotation :!: We still need two fingers for rotation, but any two of them will do the job.

Making sure to separate these two steps makes the difference for me. I don't know where this is going to take me to but I'll give it a try. What I expect is easier gesturing along with better accuracy.
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Mousing and Gesturing