mousing on both sides of a TouchStream?

Comments specifically about gestures and mouse actions - on any FW product.

Moderator: The00Dustin

mousing on both sides of a TouchStream?

Postby moof » 12 Jul 2005, 22:08

Hi, I'd like to be able to use both sides of my TouchStream for mousing, but it appears that you can only enable one at a time. Anyone know if there's a way to do this?

-Thanks
moof
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 13 Jul 2005, 09:12

I'm still not sure how to operate the gesture editor, but if you open it up and find the right-hand two-finger gesture, you can see what it does.
Shouldn't it be possible to simply put the same settings to the left-hand two-finger gesture?
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ken gray » 13 Jul 2005, 13:45

you can searth FW site but I'm pretty sure that you can't do both at the same time.
ken gray
Site Admin

Two Handed

Postby firefox » 13 Jul 2005, 15:42

You can start a two handed gesture and then only move the left hand. I haven't found a great use for it, but if I set down 2 figers from both hands and then move the left it will move the mouse. With the right gesture settings, mostly just setting up the two handed gesture in the same way as the right hand.
firefox
Hang-around

Postby moof » 13 Jul 2005, 17:03

Okay, thanks for the replies. That's a shame - for now I'm just using an iGesture pad alongside my TouchStream..
moof
Familiar

Re: mousing on both sides of a TouchStream?

Postby nomaded » 13 Jul 2005, 20:15

moof wrote:Hi, I'd like to be able to use both sides of my TouchStream for mousing, but it appears that you can only enable one at a time. Anyone know if there's a way to do this?

It should be fairly trivial to do this from the MyGesture Editor.

If you actually want to do this, and have it act the same way on both sides (meaning 2 adjacent fingers to move the mouse cursor), then I would just replace the 4 text cursor movement gestures on the lefthand with the same mouse cursor movement gesture that's on the righthand.

I say "should be trivial" because I haven't actually tried it, nor would I, since I use the lefthand text cursor movement gestures quite often.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby Shawn_Milo » 14 Jul 2005, 16:55

I'm going to stick my neck out and say no, it's not possible.

Reason: I backed up my XML configuration file then changed mousing to the left side and saved a new file.

When I compared the two files, the only difference was an added bit:
swap_hands="true"

Therefore, it seems that there is no way to do both sides simultaneously.

Milo

P.S.
For the record, I type Dvorak but have the TS LP set to QWERTY because I use a laptop and want to be able to use the built-in keyboard interchangably.

For the further record, I'm a Mac and Linux user, and only use Windows at work. ;o)

For reference, here are the lines in question:

Compare: (<)C:\Documents and Settings\milochs\My Documents\MyGestures\qworak_left.xml (7355 bytes)
with: (>)C:\Documents and Settings\milochs\My Documents\MyGestures\qworak.xml (7337 bytes)

91c91
< <UserOptions driverContext=" win qwerty" layoutContext=" us101" swap_hands="true" game_mode_switchable="true" lefthalf_gamekeys_only="true" enable_varspeed_typematic="false">
---
> <UserOptions driverContext=" win qwerty" layoutContext=" us101" game_mode_switchable="true" lefthalf_gamekeys_only="true" enable_varspeed_typematic="false">
Shawn_Milo
Regular

Postby moof » 14 Jul 2005, 17:51

Shawn_Milo wrote:P.S.
For the record, I type Dvorak but have the TS LP set to QWERTY because I use a laptop and want to be able to use the built-in keyboard interchangably.

For the further record, I'm a Mac and Linux user, and only use Windows at work. ;o)

Thanks for the info - ps - I also use Dvorak but have my LP set to QWERTY for the same reason.. ;-)
moof
Familiar

Postby nomaded » 14 Jul 2005, 23:27

Shawn_Milo wrote:I'm going to stick my neck out and say no, it's not possible.

Reason: I backed up my XML configuration file then changed mousing to the left side and saved a new file.

When I compared the two files, the only difference was an added bit:
swap_hands="true"

Therefore, it seems that there is no way to do both sides simultaneously.

Well, this is really weird, but I can move the mouse cursor now with either my right hand, my left hand or both hands at the same time.

How did I do this? I did what I suggested in my post, above, in this same thread. I've only set up LH 2F for mouse pointing and clicking. I did not map the MMB or RMB to the LH - I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Time to go back to my previous config.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby -jeffB » 20 Jul 2005, 20:19

moof wrote:Hi, I'd like to be able to use both sides of my TouchStream for mousing, but it appears that you can only enable one at a time. Anyone know if there's a way to do this?

-Thanks

I don't know if you can enable it for both sides at one time, but here's what I did:

Set left-palm slide-left and right-palm slide-left to "Left-Half Pointing On".

Set left-palm slide-right and right-palm slide-right to "Right-Half Pointing On".

This way, I can use either hand to select either kind of pointing (arrow-key or cursor-movement). I think the other gestures (scrolling, etc.) switch as well.

I wanted to be able to use the keyboard one-handed with either hand, and this did the trick nicely. The palm-slide for switching is easy to do, but hard to do by accident, which is good.
-jeffB (Jeff Brandenburg, Durham, NC, USA)
-jeffB
Regular

Postby moof » 21 Jul 2005, 17:48

-jeffB wrote:I don't know if you can enable it for both sides at one time, but here's what I did:

Set left-palm slide-left and right-palm slide-left to "Left-Half Pointing On".

Set left-palm slide-right and right-palm slide-right to "Right-Half Pointing On".

This way, I can use either hand to select either kind of pointing (arrow-key or cursor-movement). I think the other gestures (scrolling, etc.) switch as well.

I wanted to be able to use the keyboard one-handed with either hand, and this did the trick nicely. The palm-slide for switching is easy to do, but hard to do by accident, which is good.

Thanks! This worked perfectly!
moof
Familiar

Postby eve » 21 Jul 2005, 21:56

In the course of setting up my new mini, I fell over a library that may help in this context. To be found here.

It is called "both_hands_pointNdrag_lib" and I think it may actually do what was asked here.

Maybe one of you from the old forum may remember how it was used because I don't anymore?

cheers
eve

P.S. just found the entry in the old forum
eve
Site Admin

Postby frenchghost » 21 Jul 2005, 23:13

eve wrote:Maybe one of you from the old forum may remember how it was used because I don't anymore?

Everything is explained in the post from fingerworks where you got this file from.

You have to import the xml configuration file with the MyGesture Editor:
File->Import Gesture Library or click on the Import Gesture Library module... icon
...more on the FW site

But beware that this will replace L2F-Text Pointing and L3F-Text Selection gestures! :!:

a whisper from the ghost
frenchghost
Hang-around

Return to Mousing and Gesturing