Configuring the Shift/Enter key?

Comments specifically about typing on TS keyboards, and about key layouts.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Configuring the Shift/Enter key?

Postby speireag » 21 May 2005, 22:11

Hallo.

I'm on my first day with my Dvorak TouchStream, and I love it already. I'm already addicted to the shift gesture, and I want to make my keyboard regard the right-hand Shift/Enter key as an Enter key. I've read through the documentation, and I can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone help?

-Speireag.
speireag
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 22 May 2005, 19:26

Of course there's a way to map that right Shift key to Enter instead -- but why? The thumb+pinky gesture does an Enter as well, and you can gesture it anywhere -- with either hand! Or you can use three fingers on both hands at the same time -- that's Enter, too. And there's still the smaller Enter key at the lower right thumb position. Do you really need a fourth way to type Enter? :)

This was the short answer. Reply if you still want the longer answer - the one about remapping the key.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby speireag » 27 May 2005, 14:57

TorbenGB wrote:Of course there's a way to map that right Shift key to Enter instead -- but why? The thumb+pinky gesture does an Enter as well, and you can gesture it anywhere -- with either hand! Or you can use three fingers on both hands at the same time -- that's Enter, too.

That's great! Thanks! The three fingers on both hands doesn't seem to work for me, but the thumb + pinky does.

While we're at it, is there a gesture for backspace? It appears that I use my left thumb for backspace more often than I knew.

Where in the manual can I find these gestures? The only thing I can find is references to command gestures and shift gestures and the like. I'm glad you told me about the enter key, because I can't find a reference to it anywhere.

-Speireag.
speireag
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 27 May 2005, 15:16

speireag wrote:The three fingers on both hands doesn't seem to work for me, but the thumb + pinky does.

D'oh!Three fingers of both hands = Escape, not Enter! :roll:

speireag wrote:is there a gesture for backspace?

I don't know one, but you can map one if you like. Mind you, assigning actions to gestures is a notch more complicated than assigning stuff to keys. Get help from gesture experts, not from me :oops:

speireag wrote:Where in the manual can I find these gestures? ... I'm glad you told me about the enter key, because I can't find a reference to it anywhere.

I don't recall where I learned that. Docs? Forum? ... perhaps other people can answer that.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 27 May 2005, 23:21

My keyboard came with three pieces of glossy card-stock letter sized paper. Each of these sheets had information on different gestures and modes on both sides. Anything not in them I learned from the gesture editor.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Typing and Layouts