Will I like the "feel" of touch-typing on an LP?

Comments specifically about typing on TS keyboards, and about key layouts.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Postby DDinEB » 20 May 2005, 20:29

Hello All,

I've never had the chance to see or try any Touchstream product in person. I first learned of the LP a few years ago, but I wasn't interested in it much at all, after I realized that it had a flat typing surface.

Well, lately, I have considered the LP - mainly because it seems that being able to use gestures, and on the same area as the typing surface, would be great.

I have only simulated typing on a flat surface, to try and imagine how typing on the LP would feel. It seems like I could like it - however, I am still resting one or more other fingers on the typing surface while I type.

It looks like that with the LP, while you type, only the finger hiiting a given key can be touching the surface at that given moment. I know that you can rest other fingers, etc. after you initiate a given gesture.

Anyway, from these Fingerworks forums, I see that there are many enthusiasts, and speed typers who have been able to achieve satisfactory (or even better) typing speeds on the LP.

Still, I wonder, doesn't having to hover almost all your fingers in midair, while you type, hard? When I try to simulate that style of typing, I immediately feel strain in my wrists, etc. It seems like you'd feel it even with a wrist rest, etc.

But I'm sure that those who like typing on the LP don't feel this, because I can't see anyone tolerating it for more than a minute.

I'm considering the Kinesis Advantage keyboards, because they seem to have one of the best ergonomic layouts. The spread between the L and R hands is supposed to be 7 inches. BTW, would someone please tell me what the standard spread is, on the LP?

Of course, the Kinesis keyboard doesn't have the ability for gestures, etc. But it seems like typing would me more comfortable and pleasing.

Maybe I should add that I was typing around 84 wpm, qwerty. Recently switched to dvorak - still trying to up my speed (it's a lot slower now). I type mostly for standard office work and personal computer use - not really hardcore like transcribers, programmers, etc. Still. my fingers used to fly on the keyboard, and I hope to acheive that typing level again. Part of what I like about computing is the tactile pleasure you get from a good keyboard or input/control device. I don't know if I'd get a matchable type of pleasure, sensation, on a product like the LP.

And to complicate all this, there's the whole issue of the company being bought and possible product cancellation or evaporation of product support!

Anyway, I hope too see some engaging feedback - thanks. :)
DDinEB

Postby TorbenGB » 21 May 2005, 13:19

YES!!

the Kinesis keyboard doesn't have the ability for gestures, etc. But it seems like typing would me more comfortable and pleasing

If you say so :) Honestly, once you've tried a zero-force surface, you'll never want to go back. It's like back when they introduced the mouse with a scroll wheel -- would you really want to use a mouse today without a wheel? (Except if you could use these touchpads, of course.)

doesn't having to hover almost all your fingers in midair, while you type, hard? When I try to simulate that style of typing, I immediately feel strain in my wrists, etc.

You don't really need to hover your hands; it depends on your typing skills and whether you have severe RSI or not. Consider that the two major groups of users are 1) people with moderate-to-severe RSI, and 2) people who like the "StarTrek feel" and the benefits of gestures.
When I type on a regular keyboard, then I feel the keytops with a light touch, so that would count as hovering too and being directly comparable to the TS (TouchStream keyboard) because you can rest all five fingers of either hand without triggering any keys or gestures.
If that's uncomfortable for you because of RSI, the TS also allows you to drop all fingers and then just lift and drop fingers one at a time; each dropped finger counts as a keypress. Obviously, this is slower than the usual typing, but it's essentially force-free and ideal for serious RSI.

what the standard spread is, on the LP?

As you can see from this image, the two halves are about 1½ inch apart. I would prefer a slightly bigger split angle, but the spread and the tilt angle are comfy.

I was typing around 84 wpm

Wow, that's twice my speed and I thought I was fast at 43 wpm (interestingly, I get roughly the same speeds on TS and regular keyboards).
By the way, check out http://typera.tk/ for a fair measurement of your typing speed. There's a separate thread about our typing speeds on TS vs. regular keyboards.

standard office work and personal computer use

...and for precisely this kind of mixed mouse/keyboard work, the TS is a marvel.

And to complicate all this, there's the whole issue of the company being bought and possible product cancellation

Yes, and that seems to be pretty definite, as written [url=http://fingerfans.dreamhosters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171
]in this thread.[/url] :cry:
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to Typing and Layouts