left handed mode?

Comments specifically about the mousepad devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

left handed mode?

Postby bryanlharris » 01 Mar 2006, 16:39

Does anybody know how to put the iGesture pad into left handed mode? I would like to use it with my left hand, but it is hard to duplicate all the right-handed gestures with my left hand. Is there a left-handed mode?
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Postby bryanlharris » 01 Mar 2006, 16:40

Also, I have searched a little for this in the forums but I didn't see anything like what I'm looking for.
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Postby Shawn_Milo » 01 Mar 2006, 19:17

As an amazing coincidence, I recently switched to using my iGesture left-handed. I don't see any features in the software to change it, but all the gestures seem to work just fine automatically.

Just do the mirror of what you would have done. It's working for me. The only problem I'm having is that I'm not completely used to using my left hand, so I sometimes get the finger position wrong or have the pad at a funny angle which doesn't allow it to recognize a gesture.

Hope this helps -- maybe practice is the answer.

ShawnMilo
Shawn_Milo
Regular

Postby goadeff » 01 Mar 2006, 21:02

You can switch mousing surface using the Fingerworks Utilites and the Feature Selector, or program one of the keys or blank keyboard spaces to use the Internal Function "Swap Hands". I program one of the blank spaces, so when one hand tires of mousing, I just touch a spot on my keyboard and switch hands. The surface that is chosen for mousing is also the surface used for "Right Hand Gestures" and the other is for "Left Hand Gestures".
goadeff
Hang-around

Postby Shawn_Milo » 01 Mar 2006, 21:14

goadeff wrote:You can switch mousing surface using the Fingerworks Utilites and the Feature Selector, or program one of the keys or blank keyboard spaces to use the Internal Function "Swap Hands". I program one of the blank spaces, so when one hand tires of mousing, I just touch a spot on my keyboard and switch hands. The surface that is chosen for mousing is also the surface used for "Right Hand Gestures" and the other is for "Left Hand Gestures".

Yeah, that's for the TouchStream keyboard. But for the iGesture pad there is no "left-hand" section in the MultiTouch Utility. So I'm guessing that it's automatic. But you TouchStream users have no need of a separate iGesture -- you already have two connected by a bit of cable. ;o)

ShawnMilo
Shawn_Milo
Regular

automatic mirror...

Postby bryanlharris » 02 Mar 2006, 05:25

Shawn_Milo, I think you're right.... I was trying to pretend like my left-thumb was equal to my right-pinky, left-index finger equals right-ring finger, etc. to try to recreate the gestures with my left hand--which is pretty hard to do. But now I can see to just do the mirror, it seems automatic.

Thanks
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Postby nomaded » 02 Mar 2006, 06:29

I have to say that I do love how the software just seems to do the right thing, no matter what hand you use. Genius!
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

one funny thing

Postby bryanlharris » 02 Mar 2006, 08:44

Funny that all gestures are mirrored the way explained above except for the File Operation->Open and the File Operation->Close. Maybe it's because they have that twisting motion?

As an experiment, I tried the Application Control->Open Desktop gesture to see if it would work... Unfortunately it closed my browser so this is the second time I'm writing this message. I think the mirror of open desktop is very similar to the regular gesture for exit application.

Very next thing I did was tell Firefox to warn when closing multiple tabs. (-:

Maybe it can tell easily a mirror gesture for others, but twisting motion messes me up badly, ro maybe I have strangely shaped hands.
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Postby bryanlharris » 02 Mar 2006, 08:45

I agree momaded I think these devices are great, now I just need the keyboard to have more fun.
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Return to Mouse: iGesture products