iGesture Pad gone Kaput

Comments specifically about the mousepad devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Postby jmadison » 31 Jan 2006, 15:46

I'm certainly no expert at troubleshooting these devices. But, I do have some info and suggestions that may help.

Firstly, FingerWorks is no longer in operation. Do not expect any support from the company. They are closed, indefinitely.

Next, I suggest that you try the device on at least one other computer. There have been times where users have found trouble on one machine but not on another. Often it is unexplained at first, but this helps to narrow things down a bit.

Also, on the same machine, try using different USB ports/hubs. If you are using an extension USB hub right now, temporarily remove that from the loop. The FingerWorks products all take a certain amount of current from the USB port, and sometimes the hubs are not capable of supplying adequate current. This can result in a device that works sometimes, and sometimes not... simply by virtue of the fact that the current supplied is marginally adequate.

So, hopefully you'll get some results.
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby The00Dustin » 31 Jan 2006, 21:29

Check out the eighth (final) post in this topic (by Rqyteqto):
forum/viewtopic.php?t=268&highlight=100+dead
Chances are you're SOL, but it's hard telling. The only other option I see is wait and see if Fingerworks will offer you a partial refund for the return of the pad. I don't think that will happen seeing as how they had a 1 year warranty and the company has been gone for nearly that long. You may want to give it some time, as someone could come along with a better answer, but either way, at least a lot of people that are still in these parts want to learn about the intricate details of your dead device.
[Edit: Corrected URL Typo. Thanks IvanW]
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Max » 01 Feb 2006, 08:52

To reiterate, try reflashing your device on another PC. I have one PC that seems unable to reflash my Touchstream (and reports similar errors to the ones you have described), but on another PC I can upgrade the firmware without problems. Odd.
Max
Regular

Postby ivanw » 01 Feb 2006, 10:55

I think Max has a point...

Look at that: -- When conditions aren't perfect, USB communication failures can be semi-random. -- This comes from this message from fingerworks forum member!

USB seams to use you electricity as well as your good/bad luck. You have to handle the issue like a Jedi has to :wink:

More seriously, USB has its odds and you may find the glitch if you look hard for it. Let us know what you try and what you get from your attempts.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 02 Feb 2006, 17:59

GT - My offer still stands. If you take a good set of digital photos and really take it apart so we can all see the insides clearly, I'll send you $100. But you have to get detailed pictures, lots and lots of them. Like, if you use up a 512K chip, get out another and fill it up. Get the best camera you can and get good lighting. We need to see what's in there. Also, include pictures and narrative of the dissembly and reassembly process.

PM me for details.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The00Dustin » 03 Feb 2006, 04:58

I'm guessing he meant meg and he wants like a gig of super high-resolution pictures... ;)
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Rqyteqto » 04 Feb 2006, 22:01

Yes, just take as many high quality pictures as you can. 1 gig, 2 gigs, whatever it takes. You might want to talk to jwr and post them to his web page: Inside a TouchStream.

As I said in my PM, just post them and I will send you the money.

By the way, jwr, you may apply as well. But I am not independently wealthy, so that will have to be it. Sorry.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 13 Feb 2006, 23:05

This is what yo get when you let money mess up things. I think that Rqyteqto wanted to use it as an extra compensation and it looks like this was a mistake! I don't blame him to be entirely responsible of the bad shape of this outcome. After all, the real value of money is its equivalent human work.

Still, it looks like the currency at work around here has more to do with experience, thoughts and ideas. I am tempted to conclude that money has been banished once more in some way. Good :!:

I am always happy with these little victories of mind against wealth. eBay is definitely not part on the way of evolution. You cannot use money for a brain replacement and I'm pretty sure that Darwin would agree :wink: I am always grateful to money when it auto destruct :twisted: It spares us a little time before the next step.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 14 Feb 2006, 21:27

Well, jwr will be getting his $100 as soon as the transfer to my Paypal account completes.

I do agree with you ivan, money often does get in the way, though I believe its the people and their expectations and not some inherent aspect of money itself. In effect, money is just virtualized work or food or whatever you choose it to be. Some people choose it as an instrument of pride and/or power. Others see it simply as a lot more convenient that hauling a load of whatever I have to offer over to my neighbors place to exchange for whatever he's got that I might need or want.

I offered the money as an incentive to someone who might want to help out the community. I feel people that contribute should be rewarded and anybody that loses their FW product is certainly to be sympathized with so I also hoped it would ease the loss a bit.

I did not want to 'buy' some pictures. I didn't want to get into a bidding war with someone else for such. I didn't like the rhetoric or attitude GT-Force exhibited in his communications with me. He apparently felt this was some sort of business deal, his 'work' in exchange for my money. That was not what was intended.

jwr took the initiative and even set up his own webpage and posted his pictures and commentary to it. He definitely deserves some help and I am glad to provide it.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Mouse: iGesture products