difference between iGesture and iGesture NumPad?

Comments specifically about the mousepad devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Postby Rqyteqto » 24 Aug 2005, 10:12

I haven't gotten an iGesture pad yet, so I have a hard time imagining what you are relating.

Are you making the changes with the Gesture Editor or in the XML file? I am pretty sure it will be necessary to change the XML file. I am not sure the Gesture Editor can make the changes that are needed. Its more for assigning actions to activities.

Hopefully I will get lucky in the morning. iGesture-wise.

If so, then I should be able to join the play and dialogue.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 24 Aug 2005, 12:33

You definitely need to edit the XML files to cheat on MyGestureEditor. But XML is the most frendly mean you can use to talk to a computer, no kidding: no guessing game here...

You aggree to put a name on something and you have a tag:
<pre><this_is_aTag /></pre>You want this tag be red, give it a color attribute:
<pre><this_is_aTag color="red" /></pre>You want some topic-grouping:
...name a tag for the group
...put composing tags between a start-stop group markers:
<pre><paragraph>
<line_1 text="">
<line_n text="">
</paragraph></pre>
I think that this is the most important thing to say about XML: it is the result of removing all what is not easy to explain in any other expressing format. Most of these not easy parts are those that are unclear to anyone, even to the author :roll:

For programers that condider themselves as beeing so smart, here is a retrospective on object-oriented design by Bjarne Stroustrup, the designer and original implementor of C++.
ivanw
Zealot

Got Lucky

Postby Rqyteqto » 24 Aug 2005, 17:10

Well, I did get lucky early this morning, didn't even have to wake up for it. Fortunately, it was the kind of lucky that didn't require consciousness to obtain satisfaction. I am now the proud owner of an iGesture, well, I will be shortly.

Still in the market for a second TouchStream, even a third if I can find them. So anybody that finds this all too intimidating, let me kow.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby rolfwind » 24 Aug 2005, 23:45

ivanw wrote:Back to what rolfwind is doing, only those who have an iGesture at hand can experiment further and I only have a TS so I can't.
But I have some inputs on this:
  1. MyGestureEditor is driven by hardware dependent conditional attributes - they could just be deleted to loosen up relevance controls.
  2. A fairly precise understanding of all these hardware dependent attributes must be achieved to elaborate on how to make sure that:
    2 iGesture + cable + :idea: = TS ... :wink:
  3. Wiki XmlManual will help.

Thank you, I already read the wiki and stuff before I posted and understand XML more or less - it's a super easy language.

I believe the problem is the software (mygesture editor) is simply somehow blocking the surface keys from being implemented - not sure how. I think this was done to implement the 1-finger mouse move and click gestures (which is not possible on teh numpad or TS I figure). These gestures I can't completely delete other than emptying the signals they send.

Could someone upload their XML file for the TS or IGesture Numpad? I think if I see different files I could track down the problem and see if it's possible to solve?

I'm also thinking that perhaps the Numpad driver should be loaded into the device to bypass this nonsense but the software doesn't allow that - I'll be looking for a way to do that.

Anyway - it doesn't matter too much - I like the iGestures as they are (for my notebooks) and will simply track down a TS sometime as that is less of a hack for my desktop - that solution seems to be the least kludgy.
rolfwind
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 25 Aug 2005, 08:51

I've attached two TS customizations to that wiki page. One is my current configuration, and one is just an export of the factory defaults, if it's any use to you.

Tracking down a S is probably the most elegant solution, if unfortunately also rather costly these days...
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby Rqyteqto » 25 Aug 2005, 11:30

It would appear the one finger mousing for the iGesture pads is a fairly recent thing. I found it was added in the version 1.50.

I am thinking it would be a good thing to get as many of the older versions of the firmware as possible. That would allow comparisons from version to version and should help with figuring out what's going on, at least a little.

I have versions 1.40 and 1.42 on my TouchStream's CD and 1.50 and 1.60 as downloads. I think it may be valuable to preserve unmodified versions of the old soft and firm wares.

I am slowly building up a warchest for another TS. Hopefully the next one to go on the block will be mine.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Previous

Return to Mouse: iGesture products