More work needed on the XML manual

Official and 3rd party downloads that aren't software: manuals, press photos, and other documentation

Moderator: The00Dustin

Forum rules
This area is intended for software documentation only -- use the Support Central for support discussions!
If you have additional downloads that we can host, please attach them here or send them to torben@g-b.dk!

More work needed on the XML manual

Postby TorbenGB » 18 Oct 2005, 10:06

The XML manual has become a good reference concerning the structure and details of the XML configuration files. Although it's not yet fully documented, this is already good work, and it's questionable whether we will really be able to fully document it since we didn't invent the thing and we are only sort of "reverse-engineering" the technology.

We need another kind of description as well -- what we have now helps us to create XML files. What I'm frankly missing is the bigger picture: a description of how the XML files fit into the Editor and most importantly we need a recipe for getting the XML customizations uploaded to your FW device.

It seems to me that when I toy around with the XML stuff, I can see my Notepad changes in the Editor, but if I make additional changes using the Editor and save the configuration again, then the Editor messes up the manual edits I made with Notepad. Obviously, the Editor has its own formatting style etc. that is applied to the file, but it confuses me.

How do we:
* create a new XML file manually and upload that into the FW device,
* edit an existing XML file manually and upload that into the FW device,
* use the Editor for further changes without destroying the manual changes?
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 30 Oct 2005, 13:00

OK, let's start something here on your first topic that could be used as an example in the Wiki about it:
  • create a new XML file manually and upload that into the FW device
Hopefully, that would be something that proved to be useful. I have something that qualifies for me. It has to do with text pointing and selection. It is quite fresh as I just realized what I had in mind since a long time. As such I still have to live with it for a while to see whether it is an improvement or not :roll:

While moving the text-cursor around in a text editor, I am overshooting all the time, having to spend much more effort in adjusting the cursor position than to move it from some place to another in the page. This makes me stress every time I have to do that knowing that I'll have either to compensate several times or be extra careful. All this goes against muscle memory process which is SO important for a TS user.

:idea: You have to feel a gesture, not to monitor it. I know for sure that Master Yoda would say this!

One solution to this problem can be through adjusting the speed_param_ref attribute of the slide gestures named Text Pointing and Text Selection.

Here is the content of a first file named LIB_Text_Pointing.xml. It has to be pasted with Notepad.
Code: Select all
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE MTS_config>
<MTS_config MTS_config_version="1.60" min_firmware_version="1.46" lib="LIB_Text_Pointing">
    <RequireLib name="FW_main" />
    <!--
    Very low sensivity.
    -->
    <MacroLibrary>

<ChordTemplate macro_name="Text Pointing" lib="LIB_Text_Pointing" speed_param_ref="Extra Coarse Command Sensitivity">
            <GestureCategories list=" text_nav" />
       <SynctapEvents lib="LIB_Text_Pointing">
      <MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Hold NumberPad On" />
       </SynctapEvents>
            <Slide macro_name="Move Up  {in Text Pointing}"    axes_template_ref="Move Up"   > <KeyEvent keyCode="Up"    /> </Slide>
            <Slide macro_name="Move Down  {in Text Pointing}"  axes_template_ref="Move Down" > <KeyEvent keyCode="Down"  /> </Slide>
            <Slide macro_name="Move Right  {in Text Pointing}" axes_template_ref="Move Right"> <KeyEvent keyCode="Right" /> </Slide>
            <Slide macro_name="Move Left  {in Text Pointing}"  axes_template_ref="Move Left" > <KeyEvent keyCode="Left"  /> </Slide>
        </ChordTemplate>

</MacroLibrary>
</MTS_config>
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To have this adjust your keyboard behaviour you have now to import this library from the customization file you make with MyGestureEditor.
Then, your file should start like this:
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE MTS_config>
<MTS_config MTS_config_version="1.60" min_firmware_version="1.46">
    <RequireLib name="FW_main" />
    <RequireLib name="LIB_Text_Pointing" />

For me now, it's time to wait and see if somebody has some questions before going on with more. It’s time for dinner too!
Then, if there is no questions about this, I will assume that no one give a dam about what I say here and I will shut up and go to hell with it.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 30 Oct 2005, 19:47

Okay, I am replying mostly just so you wont's shut up and go to hell.

First off, Yoda would say, "Fell gesture you must, monitor not."

Secondly, what I think you are trying to accomplish here is to initiate a temporary slowing down of the the text cursor when using a text select gesture, specifically to allow you greater accuracy in selecting the text. Is this correct?

If so, its a great idea, with numerous other applications, such as in a graphics program where there is a lot of detail and finer control of selection would be helpful rather than zooming in and then zooming out again. I also presume the basic concept could be used to develop a function that would temporarily zoom in to an area to allow intricate selection and then automatically zoom back out.

I really don't have time right now to fiddle with this stuff but I am taking a long overdue vacation from Thanksgiving through New Years, a primary purpose of which includes working on FingerWorks and specficially TS and XML. So, hang in there until at least then. Hell will wait.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 30 Oct 2005, 21:05

I knew you would be there for my salvation. Ok, I'll wait for more to be said about this kind of comfort study.
But the purpose has more than one subject, the xml files organization is the starting point. If some have questions about these files this is a good time for asking. Any advice is welcome too, my suggestions is only meant to contribute, not to enforce compliance with mandatory rules.

Rqyteqto wrote:Secondly, what I think you are trying to accomplish here is to initiate a temporary slowing down of the the text cursor when using a text select gesture, specifically to allow you greater accuracy in selecting the text. Is this correct?

Rght but this is not temporary, it is a full time adjustment to a slow motion of the text cursor. This is nothing any smarter, it just makes your fingers feel at ease when moving this boucing cursor. After some time, I already have a good quiet feeling. Anyway I can accelerate with the shift chord modifier when I need to.
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Manuals, PDFs, images