Fully working FingerWorks software in a virtual machine

Official drivers, editors, and additional software from FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Forum rules
This area is intended for software downloads only -- use the Support Central for support discussions!
If you have additional downloads that we can host, please attach them here or send them to torben@g-b.dk!

Re: Fully working FingerWorks software in a virtual machine

Postby Max » 24 Nov 2014, 14:48

Actually, I'd just like to say a thank you to (you) Torben, for keeping this community alive. I may only pop in every now and again but I am always thankful that it is here and for your efforts.
Max
Regular

Postby TorbenGB » 24 Nov 2014, 18:19

Thank you Max! I'm a facilitator - what I do best is help others be great, so it's a pleasure to see this site being helpful to users.

I only have an uncomfortable suspicion that there aren't very many actual users left, and that's a pity. Not because of this site, but because it's a product without equal that a fruit company decided to axe. So all site activity is encouraging!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby David.P » 09 Feb 2015, 12:31

Also here, the link to an old Java version that I just installed in a "XP mode" Windows virtual machine on Win7 64bit, in order to be able to run the Fingerworks Utilities:
http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=10

However, there's still the problem that the Fingerworks hardware is not recognized inside the virtual XP machine. I mean, the Fingerworks hardware of course is working as mouse and keyboard in the virtual XP, but not recognized by the Fingerworks utilities.

Had this problem been solved somewhere? I can't seem to find a solution on the forum.
Last edited by David.P on 09 Feb 2015, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.
since 2005 featuring
Triple Monitors Windows Desktop with Ethernet-to-VGA¹
Speech Input with NaturallySpeaking
iGesture Pad with Gesture Sound Feedback
Paperless Office with Remote Backup
Windows installed in SDRAM²
--
¹) deprecated by AMD Eyefinity
²) deprecated by SSD
David.P
Enthusiast

Postby TorbenGB » 09 Feb 2015, 12:42

David.P wrote:However, there's still the problem that the Fingerworks hardware is not recognized inside the virtual XP machine.
Well, I seem to remember that I had this working once, using WinXP on a Sun VirtualBox with Win7 as host system -- but I don't have any facts about this anymore! :(

But the crux of the matter was that theVM host software has a way to map USB devices to the client, and I recall that the FW device has one device ID when it's in normal operation but a different ID when it's in DFU mode -- so the trick was to map both ID's to the WM client!

That of course meant that I had to connect a different physical kbd&mouse to the host system in order to be able to control the host at all. I used some plain wireless kbd/mouse combo set for that.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby David.P » 09 Feb 2015, 12:57

Thanks Torben!

The iGesture Pad unfortunately does not even show up in the XP device manager:

The "Virtual PC Integration Device" is something else since it does not disappear when the Fingerworks hardware is unplugged.

Again -- the iGesture Pad does work in the virtual XP system, but this could be provided via the host system of course.
since 2005 featuring
--
²) deprecated by SSD
David.P
Enthusiast

Postby TorbenGB » 09 Feb 2015, 13:10

When it doesn't show up in the client OS, it's probably because it's only known to the host OS and the host just tells the client that there's a standard mouse&keyboard attached - and you have those.

Are you using a VM tool that is standard in Win7? I would not expect that to have the mapping functionality of USB device ID's. It's probably good for a lot of "simpler" stuff but perhaps you've found a reason to use a third-party VM tool like Sun VirtualBox <-- that one is free to use, but make sure you download the correct variant, because there's a version with detailed USB support, and a version without it.

Download: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Info: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#idp54668304
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby David.P » 09 Feb 2015, 17:36

Thanks -- after trying several flavors of VirtualBox and VMLite (which all did not work for some reason; I am under the impression that they are outdated and/or more or less abandoned?), I finally got everything to work with VMWare Player. There, it is actually possible to connect like anything that is plugged into a USB port of the host system, also to the guest OS exclusively (provided under host system -> VMWare Player -> [name of guest OS] -> Settings -> USB Controller -> Show all USB input devices is ticked).

HtH,
Cheers
David.P
since 2005 featuring
--
²) deprecated by SSD