Fully working FingerWorks software in a virtual machine

Official drivers, editors, and additional software from FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Forum rules
This area is intended for software downloads only -- use the Support Central for support discussions!
If you have additional downloads that we can host, please attach them here or send them to torben@g-b.dk!
Max
Regular

Re: Fully working FingerWorks software in a virtual machine

Post by Max »

Actually, I'd just like to say a thank you to (you) Torben, for keeping this community alive. I may only pop in every now and again but I am always thankful that it is here and for your efforts.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Post by TorbenGB »

Thank you Max! I'm a facilitator - what I do best is help others be great, so it's a pleasure to see this site being helpful to users.

I only have an uncomfortable suspicion that there aren't very many actual users left, and that's a pity. Not because of this site, but because it's a product without equal that a fruit company decided to axe. So all site activity is encouraging!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
David.P
Enthusiast

Post by David.P »

Also here, the link to an old Java version that I just installed in a "XP mode" Windows virtual machine on Win7 64bit, in order to be able to run the Fingerworks Utilities:
http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=10

However, there's still the problem that the Fingerworks hardware is not recognized inside the virtual XP machine. I mean, the Fingerworks hardware of course is working as mouse and keyboard in the virtual XP, but not recognized by the Fingerworks utilities.

Had this problem been solved somewhere? I can't seem to find a solution on the forum.
Last edited by David.P on 09 Feb 2015, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.
since 2005 featuring
Triple Monitors Windows Desktop with Ethernet-to-VGA¹
Speech Input with NaturallySpeaking
iGesture Pad with Gesture Sound Feedback
Paperless Office with Remote Backup
Windows installed in SDRAM²
--
¹) deprecated by AMD Eyefinity
²) deprecated by SSD
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Post by TorbenGB »

David.P wrote:However, there's still the problem that the Fingerworks hardware is not recognized inside the virtual XP machine.
Well, I seem to remember that I had this working once, using WinXP on a Sun VirtualBox with Win7 as host system -- but I don't have any facts about this anymore! :(

But the crux of the matter was that theVM host software has a way to map USB devices to the client, and I recall that the FW device has one device ID when it's in normal operation but a different ID when it's in DFU mode -- so the trick was to map both ID's to the WM client!

That of course meant that I had to connect a different physical kbd&mouse to the host system in order to be able to control the host at all. I used some plain wireless kbd/mouse combo set for that.
David.P
Enthusiast

Post by David.P »

Thanks Torben!

The iGesture Pad unfortunately does not even show up in the XP device manager:

The "Virtual PC Integration Device" is something else since it does not disappear when the Fingerworks hardware is unplugged.

Again -- the iGesture Pad does work in the virtual XP system, but this could be provided via the host system of course.
since 2005 featuring
--
²) deprecated by SSD
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Post by TorbenGB »

When it doesn't show up in the client OS, it's probably because it's only known to the host OS and the host just tells the client that there's a standard mouse&keyboard attached - and you have those.

Are you using a VM tool that is standard in Win7? I would not expect that to have the mapping functionality of USB device ID's. It's probably good for a lot of "simpler" stuff but perhaps you've found a reason to use a third-party VM tool like Sun VirtualBox <-- that one is free to use, but make sure you download the correct variant, because there's a version with detailed USB support, and a version without it.

Download: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Info: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#idp54668304
David.P
Enthusiast

Post by David.P »

Thanks -- after trying several flavors of VirtualBox and VMLite (which all did not work for some reason; I am under the impression that they are outdated and/or more or less abandoned?), I finally got everything to work with VMWare Player. There, it is actually possible to connect like anything that is plugged into a USB port of the host system, also to the guest OS exclusively (provided under host system -> VMWare Player -> [name of guest OS] -> Settings -> USB Controller -> Show all USB input devices is ticked).

HtH,
Cheers
David.P
since 2005 featuring
--
²) deprecated by SSD
David.P
Enthusiast

Post by David.P »

Hi Forum,

in the meantime I managed to get a nice Windows XP up and running as a virtual machine on Windows 10, see screenshot below.

I used a German Windows XP ISO that can be downloaded here:
https://archive.org/download/WindowsXPP ... ack3German
• Hash: 55ad061ba1054da5ec800924b03337674e5a1262

Here is an English version that should work as well:
https://archive.org/download/en_windows ... 428_202010
• Hash: f424a52153e6e5ed4c0d44235cf545d5

(I believe that you have to use a 32bit Version of Windows XP -- after I tried to install the Fingerworks software on a 64Bit Windows XP and got an incompatibility message)

Also, you'll need a valid serial number for Windows XP Professional.

With the free VMware Player this ISO can be installed in a few minutes on Windows 10.

After installing Java version 1.4.2 (which I believe was included with the original Fingerworks software, but also can be downloaded here, in the virtual machine, I could use the Fingerworks Multi-Touch Utilities without problems. My iGesture Pad is recognized and can be fully serviced and programmed, after it is connected to the virtual machine like shown below:

This way it should be possible to continue operating the Fingerworks hardware hopefully for many more years!

David
--

More Windows XP downloads, just in case:
https://archive.org/details/windows-xp- ... d-vm-disks
https://archive.org/search.php?query=su ... ofessional
since 2005 featuring
--
²) deprecated by SSD
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Post by TorbenGB »

Fantastic work, David! Thank you for documenting it so clearly - now we can all build a workstation for the devices!
David.P
Enthusiast

Post by David.P »

Thank you Torben, and great to hear from you again! Thank you also for keeping this amazing forum up and running.

Let's keep those Fingerworks devices alive and productive!
since 2005 featuring
--
²) deprecated by SSD