Left side of Touchstream LP is dead

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Left side of Touchstream LP is dead

Postby Max » 23 May 2005, 09:00

Hi,

The left hand side of my Touchstream LP has died. Any clues as to how I might fix it (all sensors are reported as low on that side in diagnostics)? With the current supply uncertainty I may be forced to try to fix it myself.

Regards,

Max
Max
Regular

Postby Max » 23 May 2005, 10:53

ivanw, thanks for the comments. It's good to know other users are out there and are also concerned. It does indeed appear as if Touchstream keyboards are now virtually impossible to get hold of (at least at the moment) - which is very sad considering what a great product they are and how much many of us have come to rely on them. They are expensive products and represent a significant investment by their users - but are unique. Perhaps I should have bought a spare, but at £250 that's a lot of money for a spare. I also quite fancy the new silver version and QWERAK would have been interesting too, if they had brought it out.

However, on a brighter note (from my other, probably misplaced post):

"A quick update. I went to the main forum and researched about the ribbon cable problems. I found that there is info on how to replace the ribbon cable posted there (part HF26U-XX (XX=03 for 3 inch cable) - from www.digikey.com). So I have just placed an order (for a few spare too). Bit expensive from the UK, but certainly cheaper than getting the touchstream repaired or buying a new one - if one could even be found.

Since my keyboard was dead anyway, I poked and prodded at the cable to see how it connects and fiinally plucked up the courage to pull on it. If you tug on it hard enough it will come free of the socket and also come out from the slot in the keyboard. As I suspected, the cable had indeed split (top left, 3-4 wires broken). Hopefully the replacement will work.

NB it looks very difficult (i.e. nearly impossible) to feed the cable back through the plastic slot once removed - although it should go back into the socket ok. I'll just have to find another method of securing it.

Cheers,

Max"
Max
Regular

Postby kirasantucci » 23 May 2005, 17:12

Hi.

I had a problem with my left side stopping as well, but my cable is utterly unharmed. I mourned it, sent in a repair request (we all know how well that goes) and waited...

I've been using a normal ergo since then, but a week ago, I forgot my ergo at work. On a lark I pulled out my TS and dusted it off. Like magic, after letting it sit for two months, it has started working. Praise whatever god smiled upon me! So, if anyone else has had an unexplained shut down of the left side, let it rest for a really long time. It might work.
kirasantucci
Hang-around

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini