Digitouch in Samsung 500T docking keyboard

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Digitouch in Samsung 500T docking keyboard

Postby Meesters » 09 Mar 2015, 20:23

Hi everyone,

A year ago I bought a digitouch to go with my android tablet. The compact form compared to the tslp was ideal for on the go use. First I thought about making something what Minox did with his digitouch. However, I did not like the usb cable but making it wireless was to difficult. Recently I bought a new tablet the Samsung 500T which came with a keyboard dock. I was in need for a new tablet and this was great for the digitouch, that I build in to the dock. The tablet has windows 8 so most gestures are still usable. Here are some pictures.

You can easily and quick detach the keyboard without a usb cable.

Does anyone else did a mod for their fw device?
Meesters
Regular

Re: Digitouch in Samsung 500T docking keyboard

Postby The00Dustin » 10 Mar 2015, 10:53

Really neat, thanks for sharing. Is the white plastic on the edges decorative or does it hold the keyboard in place (the right one is laying on the keyboard instead of in its proper place in the last picture)?
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Meesters » 10 Mar 2015, 17:43

The white plastic was necessary to cover up the inside and keep the digitouch from sliding to one of the sides. The original keyboard was larger so I clued these plastic pieces on it. In the last picture it was not clued yet. The plastic pieces are the same color as the keyboard because I used a spare back cover of the tablet.
Meesters
Regular

Postby TorbenGB » 01 May 2015, 16:55

This is amazing! Much better than "MS Surface" for sure :-)

How did you make the USB connection work?
I'm guessing that the existing keyboard (which you removed) was obviously already USB and you just reused that connector. How is the tablet linked with the keyboard, is there some sort of proprietary USB connection in the docking hinge?

Great work!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby Meesters » 18 May 2015, 21:32

Your guess is right, the original docking keyboard has two usb ports. I just used one of these to connect it to the digitouch. In the hinge there is some kind of connector for the tablet connecting these two usb ports and the original keyboard.
Meesters
Regular

Postby jmadison » 02 Jun 2015, 17:19

Nice Job. It looks great.
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini