Touchstream repaired!

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Touchstream repaired!

Postby jwr » 10 Nov 2006, 15:36

My touchstream has just been repaired by friendly people with proper equipment. This would have been much, much harder without tips from pythagoras -- many thanks to him for the extensive repair hints!

To recap the story, I had a keyboard zapped by a static discharge, with 1/4 of the surface completely dead (half of the left half). It turned out that one of the Xilinx FPGAs needed replacement and reprogramming.

Again, many thanks to those from FingerWorks who care about us and post information!
--J.
jwr
Familiar

Postby RAFH » 10 Nov 2006, 22:35

Wow!! Congrats and Fabs!

Please keep the name and number of who did the repairs, just in case.

How? Not to be nosy or anything but ... ....

What did they do? Simply replace the bad Xilinx FPGA?
If so, where did they get them? I am assuming since you stored the Read data you needed to program them or something. Does that require special equipment?

How much did it cost?
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby ivanw » 10 Nov 2006, 23:19

Jan, I believe you've just made yourself famous around here. It makes a real difference to know that a TouchStream can survive to those electric shocks. Those are likely to happen sooner or later to some of us.

As you said, you certainly need to look for "friendly people" because the plumber next door would not help much :wink:

Still, I suspect the proper equipment might not be easily available. Could you be more specific about what was involved during the operation? Answering to half the questions from RAPH would be just fine :lol:
ivanw
Zealot

Postby RAFH » 11 Nov 2006, 19:32

Dittos to what ivanw said.

This is like having the family history for an untreatable fatal disease and then someone tells you there is a treatment that works. Its a reprieve!

I hope I am not sounding to dramatic, but I really don't think I could go back to using a regular keyboard and mouse. It would be computerologically fatal to me.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini