Getting a GB pound sign on a US keyboard layout?

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Postby SpiltMilk » 29 Jul 2006, 00:56

How can I do this?
Can anyone explain, in the simplest way possible please, how to designate an area of the surface to type a pound sign?

Perhaps below, or instead of, the scroll lock which I never use!

Thanks
Burgundy Dvorak Touchstream
SpiltMilk
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 29 Jul 2006, 01:19

I will be pleased to help as soon as I'm finished with a night sleep I'm in real need of as it is 2:00 in the morning for me. Good night, see you tomorrow if nobody has answered your question till then...

Ivan
ivanw
Zealot

Postby SpiltMilk » 29 Jul 2006, 14:31

THanks Ivan - hope you will soon be fully rested!
SpiltMilk
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 29 Jul 2006, 15:41

Yeah, thanks, it's time to play with this challenge to make something like this simple :roll:

Download this file: [url=http://ivanw.club.fr/FW/LIB_Signs.xml]LIB_Signs.xml:
Image[/url]

Put it there:

Import it in the editor:
oImage

Here you see the new ALT Code macro:
More about this here: Windows ALT Codes

And here the new associated tap area: InvisibleKey0:

Note: The key label is wrong, it should not be Alt which is taken from the first macro event - but this is not an issue.

Save your profile on disk, it will contain the added import library directive.
Library attributes are highlighted in yellow, as opposed to your profile ones which have a light-green background.

Now is time to click on "Transfer To Device" button.

Done!

My TS does the job as you can see here: £
:wink: (this is a true TS-generated Pound sign, no kidding!)

I did not put a great deal of comments here because it would defeat the simple part of your request. If you would like to understand what's happening here, you are welcome to ask for comments...
ivanw
Zealot

Postby SpiltMilk » 29 Jul 2006, 18:43

Ivan,

Thank you very much for the clear and understandable information and going to the trouble to work it out. I do not really comprehend the code but it works!

Now a simple Shift and press where you stated and £ - brilliant!

£ :D

I was not sure where to save the file before transferring to device but that didn't seem critical - is it just a back-up of the info ?

I guess all the items shown in your "user_config" are other key strokes you have created? Wow!

I just hope Apple get their "Touchstreams" on the market before mine wears out!
SpiltMilk
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 29 Jul 2006, 20:49

SpiltMilk wrote:I was not sure where to save the file before transferring to device but that didn't seem critical - is it just a back-up of the info ?

It is more than a back up. You must take care of these files because they are your starting point now on for your ongoing customization.

Files from the user_config folder are read each time you launch the editor when it loads the personal configuration you saved in your personal folder.

This file is in your personal Windows parameter folder:
%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\MyGestures/SpiltMilk.xml
...which now contains the following directive: RequireLib name="LIB_Signs"

Library files should be installed in one of these two folders:
C:\program files\FingerWorks\app_config
or
C:\program files\FingerWorks\user_config

SpiltMilk wrote:I guess all the items shown in your "user_config" are other key strokes you have created? Wow!

There is more than key stokes in those files... I talk about some of these in the following topic:
Reach no more: TapArea customization
Everything is in an on-line archive I mentioned in the first post. (Already updated with the Pound sign library :wink: )
ivanw
Zealot

Postby SpiltMilk » 29 Jul 2006, 23:33

Thanks for the explanation Ivan.
I have saved it - the "Fingerworks MTS_config XML Files (.xml)" file as ''£'' in the My Gestures folder. I understand this as being what the keyboard ''knows'' about the Gesture set(s).

I've also looked at the page you pointed out. I'm not too sure I understand much of it apart from the fact that one can set the surface to do many things.
(for example, as I never use it) the Pause Break button could actually be set insert one's address when touched and so on.

I don't suppose a "My Gestures for Dummies" book will ever see the light of day but I'd put in a word for you with the publishers were it needed :wink:

Thanks again,
Charlie @ Spilt Milk
Can I Paypal you a £ or ££ for what you have done - well worth it for me!

See my next dilemma here:
forum/viewtopic.php?p=1868#1868
SpiltMilk
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 30 Jul 2006, 00:38

Yes, you won't get the big picture about this keyboard unless you are ready to spend some hundreds of hours at exploring the editor and your own brain looking for what you really can't do with this alien device!
I'm convinced that no keyboard ever compared to the TouchStream, either from the hardware point of view nor the customization software (Java, XML, real-time, proximity detection, design, ...smartness!)
The deadly flow was to make it soon enough as only a few sapiens can understand what it is - Like you and me and a few hundreds more Image
By the way, Pay Pal is not welcome here - It was with pleasure, and I still hate money to such a point that when I have some... I throw it by the Window (IE's and no £ but €).
I'll pass for your next dilemma for today. And I'm sure you're going to have more of those later:Image
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini