Some keys not really responding well

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Postby suejester45 » 15 Jun 2006, 19:20

I am finding some of my keys are not responding well. I was having issues with capitalization. I have run the dianostics and on lines 6 and 7 I see the following text
6 HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNHHHHHHHN------------------------------------------
7 HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNHHNNNHHH------------------------------------------

According to their message it stated the following;

However, blocks of 16 or more H/L/N sensors indicate
hardware failure that must be repaired at the factory.

I have tried the update, that seemed to have fixes some of the issues (capitalization) but did not fix the fact that some of the keys do not all respond the same way. As from the diagnostic report there does still seem to be a problem.

I am going to try a complete uninstall and reinstall, and pray this works.

Has anyone else experience this issue, if so what was done??? I can't live without this keyboard.... why did these guys discontinue their business???

:shock:
suejester45
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 16 Jun 2006, 09:17

Hi Sue,
You might also want to try a full device reset: place the flat hand on the surface 5 times in a row; the device will completely reset itself. I don't know if you need to do it to both sides, but at least do it on the defective side. You'll need to load your configuration again afterwards, as this is also reset.

I don't know if this helps, but it certainly can't hurt.
Best of luck!
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 16 Jun 2006, 10:15

I would also consider some hardware related issue...
From pythagoras:
(...)
* FWSEN16A Chips: Though someone seems to have found some floating around China, these rarely fail in the field, and the ones in China might not be in the correct chip package. Sensor chips are more likely to come unsoldered than fail in the field. Each handles an 8x2 block of electrodes and daisy chains down a row pair. So if diagnostics show some bad sensors in one or two adjacent rows, it's worth resoldering the FWSEN16A chips in that row, or if that fails replacing the chip directly underneath or down-row of the isolated failures. (...)

Here is the original message in this troubleshooting section: Fruitful TouchStream Repair Tactics.

If everything else fails, it is likely that resoldering or replacement should correct the failure.

I don't know exactly where we are with this but I recall some talks about purchasing these chips.... When necessary, you should ask for someone who acquired some of those FWSEN16A for a replacement.

This is a serious matter for all of us here because it can happen to anyone. This is a good time to see how the community can handle the situation. My contribution at the time will only be this blah-blah burst because I have nothing more at hand. This confession made, I am ready to contribute to any emergency plan elaboration.

Don't give up and let us know what happens!

Ivan
ivanw
Zealot

A big thank you to all

Postby suejester45 » 16 Jun 2006, 13:07

Hi there, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I will research these recommendations and keep the community posted of the outcome. i will be out of commission for a bit so it may be a while before I write back.

I am really hoping I don't have to crack open the keyboard, I really hope it is as simple as a full reset. (I really hate typing on this laptop keyboard, oh and don't get me started about the mouse nubby...)

Have a great day! :arrow: :o
suejester45
Hang-around

Some good news

Postby suejester45 » 16 Jun 2006, 13:24

Well I have some good news. I

am now back on my FW keyboard. I did try the hand reset suggestion. (since this was the quickest and easiest) This seemes to have worked.

I ran another diagnostic, and am not getting the same results. The diagnostic was clean.

AGAIN A BIG HUGE THANKS!!!! :D :D :D
suejester45
Hang-around

what does this diagnostic mean?

Postby ccompbell107 » 22 Dec 2006, 16:00

I am not aware of any problems with my touchstream. I upgraded the firmware from 1.55 to 1.6 this morning. Yet it shows 80 errors.
ERROR: Found 80 bad sensors
ERROR: Run Diagnostics again, keeping surface free of hands and liquids.
ERROR: If sensor ERRORs persist, contact support@fingerworks.com
Sometimes cleaning fluids or hands on surface can temporarily
cause a few false-positive High/Low/Noisy sensor readings below.
However, blocks of 16 or more H/L/N sensors indicate
hardware failure that must be repaired at the factory.
|0 |8 |16 |24 |32 |40 |48 |56 |64 |72 |80
0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
c LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL------------------------------------------
d LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL------------------------------------------
e ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
f ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loaded 1243 Key/Gesture Mappings SUCCESFULLY
Keymatrix#: 34

Anyone know where the test is showing L?
ccompbell107
Familiar

Postby suejester45 » 22 Dec 2006, 19:04

I would recommend you downgrade if you can to see if you get the same message. If you do not then their may be some sort of bug in the 1.6 firmware. If you still get the error, then try the recommendation mention above in the string regarding reset. Good luck!
suejester45
Hang-around

reset

Postby ccompbell107 » 22 Dec 2006, 19:26

The reset does not seem to be working. I tried both hands on the touchpads 5 times, but nothing seems to change. The mouse makes the little diamond each time. There was no change in the error message with the previous version of 1.6.
ccompbell107
Familiar

Postby suejester45 » 22 Dec 2006, 20:47

Hmmm, for me that was the fix it is too bad it is not working for you. I am not sure what else to try at this point. Hopefully someone else may have some suggestions. Again, sorry I cannot be more helpful. :oops:
suejester45
Hang-around

Postby ccompbell107 » 22 Dec 2006, 20:52

Thank you anyway. I seem to have spent all morning on this and better get some work done. Can you describe how the hard reset is done? Perhaps I am not doing it correctly. THank you
ccompbell107
Familiar

Postby suejester45 » 22 Dec 2006, 21:13

TorbenGB wrote:Hi Sue,
You might also want to try a full device reset: place the flat hand on the surface 5 times in a row; the device will completely reset itself. I don't know if you need to do it to both sides, but at least do it on the defective side. You'll need to load your configuration again afterwards, as this is also reset.

I don't know if this helps, but it certainly can't hurt.
Best of luck!

These are the instructions I had followed. If it is any consolation the first couple times I tried it, it didn't work, so I reread the instructions very carefully and slowly and then it worked like a charm.
suejester45
Hang-around

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini