Cell Phone / Touchstream strange bed fellows...

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Cell Phone / Touchstream strange bed fellows...

Postby Minox » 23 Mar 2006, 20:34

Hey all listen to this...

I have a GSM/GPRS Cell phone that I usually keep in my pocket at work. I know from the past that when my phone is sitting on my desk the speaker in my desk phone and my computer speakers "blip" like morse code when there is GPRS data transfer (recieving a SMS message, call coming in, etc).

Well, I noticed today that my desk phone started it's morse code blathering while I was mousing and the mouse stopped responding. As soon as the blipping stopped, motion on the mouse resumed. I have tested this a few times now and it seems GPRS transfers interfere with the touchstream's ability to sense contact or maybe just to lock up. However, i have no need to palm reset or anything afterwards... it just works as soon as the transfers stop.

Thoughts?

Minox
Minox
Regular

Postby nomaded » 23 Mar 2006, 22:31

This is a known issue with the RF interference that GSM/TDMA mobile phones put out. A similar problem occurs with the cold cathode tubes that have been common for "ricing up" PCs.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby ibrandt » 27 Mar 2006, 18:36

My Nextel (iDen) phone has always interfered with my LP. It seems to like to type Ctrl-H and Delete the most. Help popping up is a nuisance, but delete, well, thank goodness for Undo!

Oddly enough, I have no noticeable interference between the same phone and my MacNTouch.

~Ian
ibrandt
Hang-around

Postby The00Dustin » 27 Mar 2006, 21:45

My Nextel iDen phone usually hits WinKey+L. I doubt that's actually what it's doing, though. I'd guess it's making the LP think I did the heel tap. Any chance you have that set to Ctrl+H?
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ibrandt » 28 Mar 2006, 05:37

The00Dustin wrote:My Nextel iDen phone usually hits WinKey+L. I doubt that's actually what it's doing, though. I'd guess it's making the LP think I did the heel tap. Any chance you have that set to Ctrl+H?

Naw, no such re-mappings. I am on Dvorak.
ibrandt
Hang-around

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini