it's happened to me, too!

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

it's happened to me, too!

Postby dongadoy » 08 Mar 2006, 16:10

My LP has failed. :cry:

Sparks have been flying around the office during the last couple months. I try remembering to discharge myself before touching the LP. But it had one too many zaps. The left side doesn't work at all. Diagnotistics puts an "L" for every sensor on the left. The right side works wonderful, though.

I've tried the 5-hand slap, re-flashing the firmware, and reseating the flat connector between each side. The keyboard never moved, so I really don't think there's any problem with the connector.

It must of been the static zap I heard and felt just before the failure. It's awful that I had not seen any warning about static electricity. The only notes are what to do if the LP started acting flakey because of static. I didn't know about this forum until recently.

Thankfully, I have two LPs. So no withdrawal symptoms. Just a big shock realizing how I depend on this keyboard, and how the joy ride will end soon. I now have to bring my working keyboard back and forth from work. It's particularly inconvenient; and the constant stress of moving is going to bring on its demise quicker.

Now what am I going to do with half a keyboard! Still, even half the LP is very useful. Pointing and gestures are what the Touchstream does best!
Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby Rqyteqto » 08 Mar 2006, 20:41

You have my sympathy. I just went through the scare of potentially losing one of my boards, its not a good thing.

One small ray of hope, we do have some very talented folks working on figuring out how these blessed devices work in detail and that may lead to solutions for problems like yours.

Best of luck and hoping your remaining board is long lived.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 08 Mar 2006, 22:01

You can start by looking inside thanks to jwr pictures. Then you can try to begin to consider to replace some IC's... It looks like google says you can find some.

Despite your loss, you must consider yourself lucky to have a fall back unit (sort of cheering up) :roll: Most of us, don't and I am afraid of the bad feeling I would endure if/when my TS stops working.

:twisted: I've already said how much I disliked the behavior of the FingerWorks Team when they just dumped all of us without a word and I want to take the opportunity to spread my anger once more here.
:twisted: :twisted: Hey Mr Google their names are "Wayne Westerman" and "John Elias"
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: And there are venomous tongues they say that :arrow: Apple ignobly attacked them at the pocket, a well known weakness of human condition.

I am not immediately concerned with this repair attempt but I am would gladly participate in any joint effort to gather some expertize that could benefit us all sooner or later.
  • Technical knowledge
  • Circuit board maintenance
  • IC diagnosis expertize
  • undisclosed FW diagrams (hello former maintenance team)
...as well as some appropriate equipment would be necessary in order to repair these pricey devices.
May some of us contribute one way or another :?:

The money topic would have to be considered at a later stage, for instance when ordering some quantity of these FWSEN16A ICs.

Please don't let me down here... I know, my keyboard still works fine but, if not for me, say you are ready to do something for those that have a dead body in their trunk.
BTW We're all good candidates to join the club. :wink:

- Ivan
ivanw
Zealot

Postby dongadoy » 09 Mar 2006, 01:24

At the moment, I don't have the desire, knowledge, and equipment to start troubleshooting the electronic innards and/or replacing soldered chips. The most I will do is open it and see if there's anything I can push or wiggle. If it still doesn't work, I will separate the parts so it can be used like an iGesture pad. Though I don't intent to use it. Not sure what to do with it.

Thanks to jwr for the photos and instructions on opening the LP.
Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby thenn » 09 Mar 2006, 15:06

I have contacted three different suppliers of this chip FWSEN16A found on Google, and have gotten two replies with discontinued item, or out of stock.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby ivanw » 09 Mar 2006, 17:24

Thanks thenn, It looks like we are out of luck.

Our only chance is to get our hands on some dusty stock from a former maintenance facility. We had some visits from someone named ??? who just did that in the old times.

Please ???, if you come to visit us again sometime, just tell us we can have a deal for those FWSEN16A chips you have not dumped yet!
Last edited by ivanw on 09 Mar 2006, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 09 Mar 2006, 21:16

I don't know what those chips cost, but I'll put up at least $200 and perhaps more, to buy some and make them available to the community.

This might include any non-working boards that might have some good chips still on them. Which is why I believe the FWians were offering partial refunds on non-working boards instead of fixing them. If the suppliers were out, simply mine broken boards.

In the end, what ivanw says is right, we need the diagrams for these buggers, wouldn't hurt to get our hands on the repair manuals either. Actually, anything and everything to do with FW would probably be of use.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 09 Mar 2006, 23:33

Rqyteqto wrote:I don't know what those chips cost, but I'll put up at least $200 and perhaps more, to buy some and make them available to the community.
I would too and I am sure that most people who are using this device would as soon as they realize they could loose it once and for all anytime soon.

This might include any non-working boards that might have some good chips still on them. Which is why I believe the FWians were offering partial refunds on non-working boards instead of fixing them. If the suppliers were out, simply mine broken boards.
:!: That's a good point for the spare parts aspect of the problem.

In the end, what ivanw says is right, we need the diagrams for these buggers, wouldn't hurt to get our hands on the repair manuals either. Actually, anything and everything to do with FW would probably be of use.
And that's where the unlikely part comes in. Beyond having to be lucky enough to gather all the necessary resources, we have to be realistic too. Technical skill is a mandatory requirement. We have to get in touch with someone willing and allowed to participate.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 10 Mar 2006, 21:51

Or just willing and able to keep their identity secure.

That shouldn't be too difficult.

But for the diagrams, it should be possible to reverse engineer one of these boards, not to build it, but simply to understand how it works.

Of course, we would never consider even thinking about using reverse engineering to build a board, that would be illegal and sneaky and all sorts of other bad things.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 10 Mar 2006, 22:45

Rqyteqto wrote:Of course, we would never consider even thinking about using reverse engineering to build a board, that would be illegal and sneaky and all sorts of other bad things.
I agree and you are right to say that our purpose must be stated here.

I can bring a few reasons why the task may draw the attention, the money and show how legitimate it really is:
  • Any average skilled TouchStream user should try to put a price on the time spent at learning how to use this device. Preserving this single aspect would be worth enough for commitment and some money.
  • Just look at some auctions on eBay to learn about what some are ready to get out of their wallet to acquire this device. (BTW. with this much money, they could have spent a few weeks of vacation on their other side of the planet - and taken their wife along, or one of her friend) :roll:
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 11 Mar 2006, 19:48

Well, I already live on the other side of the world in a fabulous tropical paradise location and my wife is with me. So, I googled the part numbers and came up with some leads. Here's a listing of stock: http://www.hkinventory.com/public/Offer ... &datecode=

I've sent inquires to several of the listings, we'll see what comes of it. If I can get some, I will. Don't know what we'll do with them but at least we will have them for whatever purposes. Maybe our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren will use them in arcane rituals involving lots of nubile young ladies and lads, intoxicating beverages and foods, rhythmic drumming and dancing, flutes and harps, fireworks and all the other good stuff.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 11 Mar 2006, 21:44

That's a quick move. These totems may still prove useful at repairing
an injured device and make someone very very happy. Image

Even if odds are not very high for success at gathering all that will
be necessary for these repair capabilities, having these spare parts
will be a big step in the right direction.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 12 Mar 2006, 16:56

I figure if I can get them, at least they won't just be thrown out someday after years of collecting dust in a bin in some warehouse some place. I'd think the current owners would be glad to get some cash, any amount, for them instead of just leaving them lying about.

As to if we can ever use them, that will remain to be seen. At least it will be an option.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini