how do i make the 5 finger roll zoom into an enter key?

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

how do i make the 5 finger roll zoom into an enter key?

Postby ncc1701d » 16 Feb 2006, 00:26

Touch stream mini newby here. Can someone tell me if i can make the the 5 finger Wheel/Zoom/Rotate/Scroll in be set to behave like the enter key?
And can someone tell me how to do it step by step?
This editer thing looks so dang confusing. I have not done editing successfully before.
I just know the times i try i screw up everything.
the first thing when i click on the zoom in Eventstab button it says "Mac Zoom In Hotkey. My OS says Win. What the heck does it says Mac for!! errrr..
I havent changed anything anywhere yet!

Whats a filtered event?
thanks
ncc1701d
Hang-around

Re: how do i make the 5 finger roll zoom into an enter key?

Postby ivanw » 16 Feb 2006, 02:18

ncc1701d wrote:Can someone tell me if i can make the the 5 finger Wheel/Zoom/Rotate/Scroll in be set to behave like the enter key?

Yes but...
Which of them are you talking about? Wheel/Zoom/Rotate/Scroll refers to a group of gestures.
Such a group is named a ChordTemplate in the editor jargon.
You can have the keyboard send an Enter keycode when you execute one of the associated Chords. You MUST avoid to alter the Rest tap but you can have any of the other do the trick...

And can someone tell me how to do it step by step?

- You must select a Chords from the right part of the editor window under the Wheel/Zoom/Rotate/Scroll tab.
- This selection got you under another tabbed window, for instance Zoom In Events which looks to be in your way :wink: ...
...and you're right, you don't give a dam about those Mac craps when you have Win$ running :!: just ignore, yet better use them as the first choice when you look for replaceable gesture to customize!

This editer thing looks so dang confusing.

You are right there too, it has been for all of us and you won't be spared neither. I am pretty sure that the one who has been the more confused with it has been the guy who made it... and I think he did well after all :roll:
Just buy you time trying to associate gestures to keyboard and mouse events. This device and its editor will make a unique combination as a music instrument would when you get to really understand how powerful they are.

when i click on the zoom in Eventstab button it says "Mac Zoom In Hotkey. My OS says Win. What the heck does it says Mac for!!

This is exactly where you don't give a dam about as we are going to replace it with the Enter Key Stroke... Just hit the Change button to the right and select Key Stroke from the list in the Key/Mouse/Macro window that just popped up.
Now, select the Slide Motion tab and choose the Gesture Speed
- Top of the list = less sensitive
- Bottom of the list = very quickly triggered

- One shot = Once triggered, you will have to lift your fingers to trigger another event. If you don't select this, you will generate more events as long as you expand your gesture.

Whats a filtered event?

I can't tell what makes them filtered but what I know is that it is where you have to say what you want to get from a gesture. The device will generate one or series of keystrokes and/or mouse events when the selected gesture has been recognized.
Motions may trigger more than one occurrence of these, depending on what you've selected under the Slide Motion tab.
ivanw
Zealot

so after that

Postby ncc1701d » 16 Feb 2006, 06:59

Hi,
So after that i hit "transfer to device"?
What is the difference between "Open Customizations" and "import gesture library"? It looks like they both ask for xml.

The last time i did a transfer to device i had problems. saying it could not find my Key Gesture mappings. Do i need to save something first? like an xml of some type?
thanks for your help.
ncc1701d
Hang-around

Re: so after that

Postby ivanw » 16 Feb 2006, 12:08

So after that i hit "transfer to device"?

That's right and this is where the editor creates a file named something like custom4f0040stealth34.U.byt. It contains what is going to be transferred to the device.

You should read the Help document because it has the answer to your question there:
Managing Devices and Customization Files - Transferring to Product

Transferring to the Selected Device

When ready to test your edits, hit the Transfer to -> toolbar button. If you haven't done so already, you'll be prompted to save to an XML file before the transfer starts. Next, a customization binary file is generated and transferred to your device. (A progress bar should appear briefly during the transfer). ...

What is the difference between "Open Customizations" and "import gesture library"? It looks like they both ask for XML.

Smart question. I think that those are not many who care to make the difference. This is all about hierarchy and black boxes:

• Open Customizations talks about the single XML file you create when you save your customization.
  • Import gesture library relates to a way to do the same things through a composition process:

You are expected to organize the contents of several XML library-files. In this case, your "Customizations" file will be an aggregation of these libraries. It still may contain customization itself though. You can make the difference in the editor between those Imported from a composing library and those (re)defined in the main file when looking in the left frame:

- Redefined entries from an imported custom-library have a yellow background.

- Those you've (re)defined (not yet exported to a composing library) have a green background.

Creating Gesture Library files goes through these steps:
    - Restore Factory Defaults
    - Set up a group of related customizations
    - Export Gesture Library

Using Gesture Library files is a matter of Importing them after you've Opened your "user" Customization file.
The last time i did a transfer to device i had problems. saying it could not find my Key Gesture mappings. Do i need to save something first? like an XML of some type?

I don't know about this one, but some had to deal with this kind of problem and I'm sure they will show up soon with some advice.

:arrow: You have much more detailed information in this Wiki page: XmlManual.
You can also look at my own files html-view-of-GestureMap.xml which customization files are in there: MyGestures_custom_ivanw.zip
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini