Replacing USB cable?

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Replacing USB cable?

Postby Roshan1 » 07 Jun 2012, 21:14

Hi everyone,

I own a silver Dvorak TouchStream that no longer works. The USB cable had gotten tangled in my chair one day, and when I stood up, the keyboard crashed to the ground. I picked it up and, much to my dismay, it stopped working.

I replaced the connecting Parlex ribbon, but it did not help.

Two interesting things to note:

1. The computer does not recognize that any device has been plugged in when I plug in the keyboard. In other words, no information is being exchanged between the keyboard and the computer.
2. The keyboard will get very hot to touch on the right half (where the USB cable connects) in a matter of minutes.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I have poured through the forum, and my next step will be to try to replace the USB cable. Has anyone successfully done this?

Cheers,

Roshan

P.S. Love the forum! Great job Torben!
Roshan1

Re: Replacing USB cable?

Postby TorbenGB » 09 Jun 2012, 11:31

Uh-oh, it sounds like the fall damaged the USB connection. I'm not sure from your explanation whether the center ribbon cable needed replacement, but obviously it didn't solve the problem.

As you've surely also realized, the fact that the right half gets hot indicates a short circuit. I am afraid that it might be damaged beyond repair, especially because all we regular users can do is to replace the simple parts (cables) but we can't really diagnose or fix damaged electronic components.

My advice would be to carefully open the right half and then first check for any obvious damage near the USB cable, but then also trace the PCB lines to the next few components to find out what parts got hot -- there is sure to be some miscoloring there. If you're lucky, there might be some replaceable components, although you'll need to be very handy with solder (or find someone who is).

If you're unlucky, the short-circuit has fried some FingerWorks-specific component(s) that can't be replaced. If that's the case, try to find a "new" right half (because someone might sell a unit where the left half is bad but the right is still OK). Otherwise your best solution is to offer the left half as a spare to someone else... painful, I know.

I'm sorry I can't offer deeply detailed steps to all of the above -- I'm just a regular user, plus the janitor around here (thanks for your praise!). Use the search; there have been some posts about dismantling the device with minimal damage to the plastic casing.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: Replacing USB cable?

Postby thenn » 13 Sep 2014, 16:44

Replacing the USB is not too hard, just be sure to solder only the parts where the 4 wires connect.
Also, have a De soldering kit the bulb syringe thing. Makes this much easier.

There are 4 wires:
Black, white, green, red.
The black connection needs to be soldered with the braided wire, non shielded silver wire.

Top edge:
Black|White
Green|red

This is two years late, sorry lost touch.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini