Dead Touchstream LP Fully Repaired

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Dead Touchstream LP Fully Repaired

Postby ahales » 21 Aug 2011, 12:40

Dear All,

My Keyboard was completely dead. Thanks to the info in this forum, and to two very skilled electrical engineers we managed to bring it back to life.

It turned out to be two things:

1) the FPGA's got de-programmed, so loading the codes solved 80% of the problem. The codes can be obtained by different ways discussed in the forum (copy from old device, get it by someone who has it, etc). After loading the codes 75% of the keyboard came back to life.
2) Then with the upper left side still not working, my super-skilled engineer colleague noted a broken leg in a part of the circuitry, soldering it did the trick. He also improved some other worn out solderings (as is recommended it some of the Repair Tactic pages)

You cannot imagine how happy I am, I feel like i got my life back. I was working with my Ipad using the Remote HD App, which is actually quite nice, but obviously not the Touchstream. I would have take me ages to get to speed, and maybe could have cause me some new RSI :(

Thanks so much for your support, thanks to the entire forum, and particularly Torben.

All the info for repairing the keyboards is here. But you need to be either an expert in FPGA and Circuitry, or having the right friends with the right tools ;)

I will get them a nice bottle to attempt to represent my gratitude.

Long life to the Fingerworks TS LP!

Antonio

ps: I found the instructions cryptic at the beginning, but I then understood them. I will be happy to help anyone who is in the same position. Send me a message and we can chat on skype or similar.
ahales
Hang-around

Re: Dead Touchstream LP Fully Repaired

Postby ahales » 02 Sep 2011, 18:38

Bad news, the repairs were at first successful, but after two weeks the upper left side of the keyboard started failing again. Sometimes it is dead, sometimes it comes alive with hiccups (looking like statics, even though i have it on an an static mat)"

my hopes are looking daunting right now...
ahales
Hang-around

Postby isaacs » 13 Jun 2012, 22:59

I am having issues with my keyboard left side. I want to solder a new FPGA on and program it but I am not sure of how exactly to program it or which binary goes to which half. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Isaac.S
isaacs
Regular

Postby buserror » 03 Sep 2012, 22:51

The FPGAs themselves don't have programming... I think the programming is in the separate flash...
buserror
Hang-around

Postby Max » 23 Dec 2013, 11:17

Are you sure it's not the ribbon cable?
Max
Regular

Postby The00Dustin » 23 Dec 2013, 12:00

buserror wrote:The FPGAs themselves don't have programming... I think the programming is in the separate flash...
I think you are referring to the configuration, while isaacs is referring to the actual chip that runs the sensors. On that note, based on the post reference here, I think a special programmer is required. You can either contact Minox or look for information on your own, but it may be you'd want to program the chips before install, and even then, special hardware (vs a homemade cable and a breadboard) may be required.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini