How to not appear slacking?

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

How to not appear slacking?

Postby TorbenGB » 01 Apr 2011, 10:23

This isn't about the FingerWorks device itself, but I'm not sure in what forum to post it:

Since I brought a FingerWorks keyboard to work, I've been working nearly silently. Coworkers in the room notice this and find it eerie. My team leader's desk is next to mine, but he can't see my monitor. I'm sometimes worried that they think I am slacking off and not working, just because nobody hears me type and click, which is otherwise a common indication of "working".

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you address such concerns? Obviously people can look at my monitor and see my work, but apart from that?
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: How to not appear slacking?

Postby The00Dustin » 01 Apr 2011, 10:49

I never really worried about that. I get my work done and my employers know it. I do wonder when I make a phone call, though, and I'm talking to someone who knows I'm on the computer doing work and typing stuff, whether or not they notice that they can't hear any noise from it at all over the phone. It would be super-annoying to me, but if it wouldn't bother you and would make your co-workers feel better, I suppose you could go for a software solution, I believe some were discussed (possibly on the archived forum). If you have speakers and Windows, I know windows has a sound that would do a decent job of replacing the click sound (would probably click more than the mouse, but make it obvious the mouse was being used), and I'm pretty sure there is software that will give you the keyboard click sound too, and I think it was made for the quieter keyboards, so it is probably a bit obnoxious, but might be customizable (or low volume might make it ok).
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 01 Apr 2011, 13:21

Not worrying and just getting the work done is the better alternative to me. I too would be driven nuts by sounds whose only purpose is to emulate the noise of hardware I don't have :-) but yes, you recall correctly, there is that kind of software. I don't think it was ever mentioned here but it's in our archived copy of the original FW forum.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby jmadison » 06 Apr 2011, 14:15

Interesting Topic:

I have used my TS at work for years, and never thought about the lack of sound from a co-worker's perspective. Everyone that comes near my desk at some point or another asks me about the TS, so all my co-workers do know that I use an unusual silent device. I doubt they've ever thought that I wasn't working just because of the lack of clicky sounds.

The funny part to me is that I feel really weird whenever I -do- use a device that makes sounds. I feel like I'm disrupting the office, and being obnoxious. I know I'm not, but I'm so used to 'silent' computing that whenever I do use normal devices I feel weird.
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby nomaded » 11 Apr 2011, 21:53

Back when I first started learning to use the TouchStream, I had enabled keystroke sounds, so I was getting positive reinforcement that I was typing. I eventually turned it off, but turned it back on when I got my MacNTouch - the layout was a little different. Again, turned it off when I felt comfortable with my typing. I repeated the same when I started learning Dvorak.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby ShawnMcCool » 12 Apr 2011, 19:04

I think that a good strategy would be to record the sounds of you playing Quake 3. Then, loop it over your speakers while you're working. Make sure that you're productive and getting things taken care of.
ShawnMcCool
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 27 Apr 2011, 11:59

Torben! You made me laugh, I mean it! and it's not so often. Sometimes I use to smile at good jokes or nice touch of humour... I just :lol: while reading your post and the replies you got.

Each of those were considering this as a serious matter but, as I'm an independent developer who works at home with tentacles all over the web, no one can hear me typing anyway, even if I used an IBM M keyboard.

In fact the best part was here:
Not worrying and just getting the work done is the better alternative to me.

I missread this as Not working and just getting the work done... and I had another layer of laughter!

That's one of the reasons why I'll always be a fan of this forums and its multitude of fingers and touch.
Last edited by ivanw on 28 Apr 2011, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby TorbenGB » 27 Apr 2011, 20:12

I'm glad I made you smile! And yes, this is one of the lighter threads. Cheers!
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini