Weird Error: "WARNING: Spelling Dictionary Missing"

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Weird Error: "WARNING: Spelling Dictionary Missing"

Postby ebenhaber » 31 Jan 2011, 03:27

I got one of my non-working TouchStream keyboards working again, had to replace the ribbon cable and splice on a new USB cable.

It seems to work o.k., though when I run the diagnostics program, it reports the error:

WARNING: Spelling Dictionary Missing
WARNING: Contact support@fingerworks.com

Well, I don't expect I'd get much by contacting fingerworks.com. Can anybody out there shed light on this error?

Thanks,

-Eben
ebenhaber
Hang-around

Re: Weird Error: "WARNING: Spelling Dictionary Missing"

Postby TorbenGB » 01 Feb 2011, 10:48

First of all: Welcome to the community!

I have no idea how the act of replacing the ribbon cable could accidentally delete the dictionary, but honestly I think the two events aren't related. Your repair probably has nothing to do with the dictionary loss.

The TouchStream dictionary is used to guess what words you're writing in the cases when you don't hit each character perfectly. I think it's part of the firmware, and if that is the case, then it hints toward a solution for you: upgrade the TouchStream firmware, and hopefully the dictionary will be re-written to the TouchStream's memory. Note that you don't need to "upgrade" to a higher version -- you can probably re-install the existing firmware.

You're going to need the original FingerWorks software (won't work on Vista/Win7). I don't have the exact steps in my head but you should look at the documentation to get started.

Please come back here and let us know how it goes! We'll try to help you over any obstacles.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 01 Feb 2011, 11:44

Just in case, you can check the Wiki DownloadArea here : bin/view/Main/DownloadArea
ivanw
Zealot

Postby TorbenGB » 01 Feb 2011, 14:24

Note that most downloadable material has moved to the forum's Download Center, specifically the software for Win&Mac and the PDF manuals.

The wiki was not being maintained well, so I've begun restoring all my material to this new location instead. Some parts may still be missing, e.g. the Linux software.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ebenhaber » 02 Feb 2011, 06:00

In fact, after getting it working again I did upgrade the firmware, from 1.4 to 1.6, but it still gave the same error message, so I suspect the spelling dictionary must be outside of the firmware. So I guess I'll have to learn to not spell words wrong. On the other hand, at least it will no longer correct "IBM" to "BIM". :-)
ebenhaber
Hang-around

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini