Mobile Phone

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Mobile Phone

Postby lee griggs » 07 Jan 2011, 12:05

The number of times my mobile phone has shut down my computer thanks to my TS is getting silly.

Anyone got any other suggestions how I can avoid this, apart from leaping out of the room every time it goes off?

Cheers,
Lee
lee griggs
Smarty Pants

Re: Mobile Phone

Postby ken gray » 09 Jan 2011, 04:48

Really? I've never had any problems...what kind of phone is it?
A blog on coding and automation.
<a href='http://www.themacrohook.blogspot.com'>The Macro Hook</a>
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby TorbenGB » 17 Jan 2011, 10:18

Do you mean that radio interference from your phone messes with your TS which in turn crashes Windows? That's odd, never happened to me. I've often heard that cell phones disturb the TS itself, but never that this would affect the computer.

Do you keep your cell phone very close to the TS or its cable? Try moving it away 0,5-1 meter (2-3 feet).
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 20 Jan 2011, 19:10

I'm thinking he means shut down, as in an alt-f4 gesture followed by an enter keystroke (along with plenty of other irrelevant input) from the radio interference equal an actual shut down. Unfortunately, I don't know how one would prevent a phone that causes this to happen from doing so. I also don't know whether each TS would react the same to each phone/model. Regardless, I would think it might be possible to design a shield around the keyboard, but I don't know how far one could go with it, nor how effective it would be. Yet another reason to remember I'm glad I don't have a cell phone.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ebenhaber » 02 Feb 2011, 06:04

I've seen the same problem when having my cell phone operating too close to the touch stream. No doubt radio frequencies from the phone are interfering with something in the keyboard. The keyboard doesn't appear to have any shielding at all, no metal visible. Come to think of it, the ribbon connector is just the right length to be an antenna for many cell phone frequencies. I guess you could try wrapping the ribbon connector in aluminum foil. But the best solution is to keep the phone a few feet away when making calls.
ebenhaber
Hang-around

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini