MacNTouch out of service, help or support needed

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

MacNTouch out of service, help or support needed

Postby bastien » 18 Apr 2010, 13:02

Hi,

I just joined this forum. Although I was looking for anything related to fingerworks products for a while I had not found it before.

I have a MacNTouch keyboard from Fingerworks that used to work fine for a few years but after some time in a cupboard I tried to reconnect it just to find out it is out of service.

At first I thought it was a USB problem because the USB "cable" (which is not exactly a cable but rather a thin plastic with integrated metal) had already broken quite a few times. But this time both the cable and the mount inside the keyboard had broken. So I decided to fix it myself just like I did in the past. So all I had left was this sort of cable that I fixed and the board directly without any mount to receive the cable so I soldered the cable directly to the board where it used to contact. It sounds a bit like a bad idea but I managed to do it more or less cleanly and I think the contact is ok. On the other side of the cable is a somewhat classic USB interface built with cardboard but that used to work for years too.

The problem is that when I plug it in my MacBook I get a USB Over Current Notice: A USB device is currently drawing too much power.

I don't know if it works on the original iBook that I used with that keyboard since I don't have access to the machine right now.

So I would like to know if anybody has any idea about what I could do myself to fix that.
I would also like to know if there is any known company or entity that provides support for the Fingerworks products.

Thank you very much for any advice or help you could give me.
bastien
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 17 Aug 2010, 12:01

Hello Bastien, and welcome to the forum!
There's no business that services the FingerWorks products, so you have to fix it yourself or find a private person who offers help. Search this forum; I remember seeing someone offering such help!

It sounds to me as if either the cable is damaged, or your soldering is not as clean as you hope. Try plugging your MacNTouch into a different computer and see if you get the same warning there. If you do, then the cable/soldering is likely the problem. I haven't heard about that kind of problem coming from a fault on the MacNTouch itself, though I can't rule it out.

You could also check eBay for spare parts. I know there's a Digitouch for sale right now but unfortunately at a very high price, as is usual for these very rare devices. You might use that as replacement. The Digitouch is really a standard MacNTouch inside a simple plastic casing.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby bastien » 17 Aug 2010, 12:10

Thanks for your answer. Right now I don't use my MacNTouch anymore, I'm back to normal keyboard as I can't find a way to make it work. I'm considering selling it but have no idea who would be interested. I'll try to make an offer anyway.
I hope to see a new product with such great qualities rising in the near future.
bastien
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 17 Aug 2010, 12:26

If you do decide to sell, then do so via eBay and post the auction link here in our Marketplace forum so users will know about it.

With Apple's great success of the iPad in the mainstream market, I think it won't be long (a year?) before they offer a touch-keyboard not unlike the FingerWorks TouchStream = Apple iType? If you can wait, then this would be interesting, and probably cheaper than buying a used MacNTouch...
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: MacNTouch out of service, help or support needed

Postby Minox » 15 Oct 2010, 14:47

I might be able to fix it for you.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Burgundy Touchstream LP - QWERTY (Daily Driver) ... 2003-2007
Silver Touchstream LP - QWERTY (In Case Of Emergency Open Box) ... 2005-Present
iGesture NumberPad - Modified (Converted to detachable mini-USB) ... 2005-2006
Silver MacNTouch - QWERTY (In Case Of Emergency Open Box) ... 2007-2010
White External USB MacNTouch - QWERTY (For use with UniBody Macbook Pro) ... 2010 - Present
Minox
Regular

Postby bastien » 15 Oct 2010, 14:54

sounds interesting, although I got back to a normal keyboard. I'm curious, how did you fit a MacNTouch into a MacBook Pro?
bastien
Hang-around

Postby The00Dustin » 15 Oct 2010, 23:45

Bastien,
Since you obviously can solder, from which I am inferring you have some electrical tools and skills, do you have a multimeter? Have you verified that the USB pins don't show a short with the ohms setting? This seems like the first thing I would check, even before going to another computer to see if I get the same overvoltage warning.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bastien » 16 Oct 2010, 00:13

you look smart, you must be smart actually... ok just kidding, you're right I should use a multimeter, I will try that. thanks.
bastien
Hang-around

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini