Okay, this is weird

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Okay, this is weird

Postby jmadison » 08 Dec 2005, 20:07

Since ivanw helped me with my upgrade problem things have been good. So, I've been playing with some of the 5 finger zoom settings. Well, in the last "transfer to device" I discovered that all of the sudden whenever I press the Y key, I get a Z instead.... and when I press the Z key, I get a Y instead. (which made it hard to type that last sentance)

I checked the MyGesture Editor and looked at the surface keys map. It looks fine. So, just to be sure I opened the Y and the Z keys and selected the proper key event from the drop down list. Then I did a "transfer to device" again. It did not work. I closed the utilities, rebooted, replugged... no good. So, I opened the utilities again, and this time I assigned Y to where Z is... and Z to where Y is. I transferred that to the device and then it would type in proper Dvorak again.... but the utility was showing the keys reversed.

This is just weird. Any ideas?

I'm using a QWERTY TS/LP but I always type in Dvorak.

Thanks,
-Jason
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby Rqyteqto » 08 Dec 2005, 21:20

Sounds like your TS has gotten a 'Touch of Dutch'.
That inversion of the Z & Y keys is exactly how a German TS is set up.
Where or how your board could have 'contracted' this is beyond my imagination, at least the part I am willing to acknowledge publically.

If you figure this out, I am interested as I have a Deutsches 'QWERTZ' TS model. It works normal, just the graphics are interchanged, because my computer is set for 'English'. Perhaps your computer has incidentally swtiched to 'Deutsches'.

Whoops, there goes my unacknowledged imagination again, have to take off and get it back in the bottle where it belongs.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby jmadison » 09 Dec 2005, 16:08

Hmmm... that is strange, indeed.

I think this is what I'm going to do: Reset my keyboard and all the custom gestures bact to the factory defaults. Then I'll rebuild my custom gestures one by one.

I've had several quirky issues like that (for instance loosing the CAPS word gesture) and since I'm using a different set of applications, and computers, now than when I first started TouchStreaming, maybe it's best to just rebuild from scratch.

Maybe I'll find time for that today.
-Jason
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby jmadison » 14 Dec 2005, 00:44

Hi all... me again.

Okay, I finally got some time and hand-copied all my gestures so I could remember them. I don't really have a lot of custom gestures. Then I reset the T/S to default... and started a new xml putting my gestures back in. I transferred that to my keyboard, and I am still having the Z and Y problem.

So, right now I changed my Surface Keys map for Dvorak. It shows the Z in the Y position, and the Y in the Z position... and now it acts properly, like a US-Dvorak should. But the buttons are assigned backward. It's not a big deal, I can live with it, but I'm bothered because I've been using this thing for several years in Dvorak mode, and this is a brand new quirk.

Heres' my xml in case anyone can help.... thanks in advance.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE MTS_config>
<MTS_config MTS_config_version="1.60" min_firmware_version="1.46">
<RequireLib name="FW_main" />
<MacroLibrary>
<EventMacro macro_name="Left Win/Cmd/Meta" lib="user" user_selectable="false">
<KeyEvent keyCode="Tab" modifiers="LeftAlt" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
<KeyEvent keyCode="LeftGUI" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs qwerty qwerak qwack" />
<KeyEvent keyCode="LeftGUI" layoutContext=" symbolpadon" />
</EventMacro>
<EventMacro macro_name=" Popup Menu " lib="user" user_selectable="false">
<KeyEvent keyCode="Tab" modifiers="LeftCtrl" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
<KeyEvent keyCode="PopupMenu" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs qwerty qwerak qwack" />
</EventMacro>
<EventMacro macro_name="InvisibleKey7" lib="user" user_selectable="false">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Swap Hands" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Pointer Feedback --" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
</EventMacro>
<EventMacro macro_name="InvisibleKey11" lib="user" user_selectable="false">
<KeyEvent keyCode="Q" modifiers="LeftCtrl" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
</EventMacro>
<EventMacro macro_name="InvisibleKey12" lib="user" user_selectable="false">
<KeyEvent keyCode="B" modifiers="LeftCtrl" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
</EventMacro>
<EventMacro macro_name="InvisibleKey13" lib="user" user_selectable="false">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Swap Hands" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Pointer Feedback --" driverContext=" win dvorak" />
</EventMacro>
<ChordTemplate macro_name="Window Manipulation" lib="user" speed_param_ref="Medium Command-Gesture Sensitivity">
<GestureCategories list=" window_op" />
<Slide macro_name="Expand Hand {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Expand Hand" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Print" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Contract Hand {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Contract Hand" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Save" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Move Up {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Move Up" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Maximize App" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Move Down {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Move Down" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Restore App" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Rotate Hand Clockwise {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Rotate Hand Clockwise" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Exit" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Rotate Hand Counter-Clockwise {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Rotate Hand Counter-Clockwise" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Show Desktop" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Move Right {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Move Right" fastShot="true" axisLocking="true" speed_param_ref="Coarse Command Sensitivity">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Next App" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Move Left {in Window Manipulation}" axes_template_ref="Move Left" fastShot="true" axisLocking="true" speed_param_ref="Coarse Command Sensitivity">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Previous App" />
</Slide>
<Slide lib="user" axes_template_ref="Move Down-Left (SouthWest)">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Minimize App" />
</Slide>
</ChordTemplate>
<ChordTemplate macro_name="LeftHand Palm Switches" icon_name="PALM.gif" lib="user" speed_param_ref="Palm Gesture Sensitivity">
<GestureCategories list=" scroll_mouse osmode_switch text_nav game_nav pengrip_op" />
<Slide macro_name="Move Up {in LeftHand Palm Switches}" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Move Up" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Switch to DVORAK" driverContext=" win" layoutContext=" numlock us101" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Left Game On" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Pointer Feedback |" driverContext=" win" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Move Down {in LeftHand Palm Switches}" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Move Down" oneShot="true">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Switch to QWERTY" driverContext=" win" layoutContext=" numlock us101" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Left Game Off" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Pointer Feedback |" driverContext=" win" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Move Right {in LeftHand Palm Switches}" axes_template_ref="Move Right" oneShot="true">
<GestureCategories list=" osmode_switch" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Switch to Linux Mode" />
</Slide>
<Slide macro_name="Move Left {in LeftHand Palm Switches}" axes_template_ref="Move Left" oneShot="true">
<GestureCategories list=" osmode_switch" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Switch to Emacs Mode" />
</Slide>
<Slide lib="user" axes_template_ref="Move Left">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Switch to Win Mode" driverContext=" win" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Pointer Feedback --" driverContext=" win" />
</Slide>
<Slide lib="user" axes_template_ref="Move Right">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Switch to Linux Mode" driverContext=" win" />
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref="Pointer Feedback --" driverContext=" win" />
</Slide>
</ChordTemplate>
<SlideOverride macro_name="Move Horizontally &amp; Vertically (XY) {in Maya Pan}" tree_label="Pan" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Move Horizontally &amp; Vertically (XY)" lowCommitSensitivity="true" speed_param_ref="Mouse Dragging Speed">
<MouseEvent subType="drag" modifiers="LeftCtrl Button3" driverContext=" win" layoutContext=" numlock us101" />
<MouseEvent subType="drag" modifiers="LeftAlt Button3" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs" />
</SlideOverride>
<SlideOverride macro_name="Rotate Hand Clockwise {in Thumb+Pinky (R Spread)}" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Rotate Hand Clockwise" speed_param_ref="Medium Command-Gesture Sensitivity">
<KeyEvent keyCode="Escape" driverContext=" win" />
</SlideOverride>
<SlideOverride macro_name="Rotate Hand Counter-Clockwise {in Thumb+Pinky (R Spread)}" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Rotate Hand Counter-Clockwise" speed_param_ref="Medium Command-Gesture Sensitivity">
</SlideOverride>
<SlideOverride macro_name="Rotate Hand Clockwise {in Thumb+Pinky (L Spread)}" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Rotate Hand Clockwise" speed_param_ref="Medium Command-Gesture Sensitivity">
</SlideOverride>
<SlideOverride macro_name="Rotate Hand Counter-Clockwise {in Thumb+Pinky (L Spread)}" lib="user" axes_template_ref="Rotate Hand Counter-Clockwise" speed_param_ref="Medium Command-Gesture Sensitivity">
</SlideOverride>
<ChordActionOverride action_type="ChordHoldEvents" touch_duration_ms="400" beginslide_trigger="true" macro_name="ChordHoldEvents {in Maya Pan}" tree_label="Hold Alt" lib="user">
<MouseEvent subType="press" duration="5" modifiers="LeftCtrl" driverContext=" win" layoutContext=" numlock us101" />
<MouseEvent subType="press" duration="25" modifiers="LeftAlt" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs" />
</ChordActionOverride>
<ChordActionOverride action_type="ChordLiftEvents" macro_name="ChordLiftEvents {in Maya Pan}" lib="user">
<MouseEvent subType="release" modifiers="LeftCtrl Button3" driverContext=" win" layoutContext=" numlock us101" />
<MouseEvent subType="release" modifiers="LeftAlt Button3" driverContext=" mac custom_os linux unix emacs" />
</ChordActionOverride>
</MacroLibrary>
<UserOptions driverContext=" win dvorak" layoutContext=" numlock us101" enable_varspeed_typematic="false" enable_pinky_gamebutton="true">
<EnabledRighthandGestures list=" scroll_mouse three_buttons maya_views clipboard_op text_styles file_op window_op text_nav modifier_chord weird_chords search_edit" />
<EnabledLefthandGestures list=" maya_views clipboard_op text_styles text_nav modifier_chord weird_chords" />
<EnabledBimanualGestures list=" text_styles" />
</UserOptions>
<TapArea xcenter="-11.97" ycenter="8.41" keymatrix_version="33" surface_version="11" lib="user">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref=" Q " />
</TapArea>
<TapArea xcenter="12.13" ycenter="8.40" keymatrix_version="33" surface_version="11" lib="user">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref=" P " />
</TapArea>
<TapArea xcenter="-11.79" ycenter="6.64" inHomeRow="true" fingerColumn="pinky" keymatrix_version="33" surface_version="11" lib="user">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref=" A " />
</TapArea>
<TapArea xcenter="12.09" ycenter="6.55" inHomeRow="true" fingerColumn="pinky" keymatrix_version="33" surface_version="11" lib="user">
<MacroRefEvent macro_ref=" :; " />
</TapArea>
</MTS_config>
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini