Crap! Static spark, non-working keyboard

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Crap! Static spark, non-working keyboard

Postby TP Diffenbach » 03 Dec 2005, 02:43

It's a cold night, I get home, take off my jacket and grab the key board.

Spark jumps from my finger, keybpard is dead.

Diagnostics show no keyboard, Windows plug and pay reports no response from it.

Any options?

Please, I can't get used to a normal keyboard. This is killing me.
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 03 Dec 2005, 11:48

Obviously, if Windows doesn't detect the board, I can't reasonably ask you what the FW diagnostic test says.

Try plugging the keyboard into your normal computer and to the reset gesture (flat hand) five times in a row, that will cause a "hard reset" of the board. If the board is alive and Windows just isn't seeing it, then that might help.

Try plugging the keyboard into a different computer.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby TP Diffenbach » 03 Dec 2005, 12:58

TorbenGB wrote:Try plugging the keyboard into your normal computer and to the reset gesture (flat hand) five times in a row, that will cause a "hard reset" of the board. If the board is alive and Windows just isn't seeing it, then that might help.

Thanks for the advice but no dice. I haven't tried it on another PC, but I've tried it in three different USB ports -- which work with other devices.

When I plug in other devices, windows does a "Found New Hardware" popup. With the Touchstream, nothing happens.
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby thenn » 04 Dec 2005, 20:48

one thing i tried when my ts totally died was to reset the firmware. The gesture set wasn't loaded until i updated the firmware. Dont know if this will help but its always a good thing to try. Good luck though
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby TP Diffenbach » 04 Dec 2005, 21:07

thenn wrote:one thing i tried when my ts totally died was to reset the firmware. The gesture set wasn't loaded until i updated the firmware. Dont know if this will help but its always a good thing to try. Good luck though

since windows doesn't even see it, how can I rest the firmware? all the TS software utilities report "No Fingerworks device found".

Is there a reset gesture?
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 05 Dec 2005, 11:12

TP Diffenbach wrote:Is there a reset gesture?

Yes, that's the "5 x flat hand" gesture. Check your manual.
When you "flat hand" once, the TS just does a small reset to get rid of any confusion from static electricity. Do it 5 times in a row, and it will perform a hard reset. All it needs to do this is power, so plug in the TS on any computer (regardless of whether the computer actually recognizes the TS or not).
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby TP Diffenbach » 05 Dec 2005, 11:54

TorbenGB wrote:
TP Diffenbach wrote:Is there a reset gesture?

Yes, that's the "5 x flat hand" gesture. Check your manual.

Yes, I tried that after you suggested it above. No dice. :(
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby thenn » 05 Dec 2005, 14:19

My computer saw nothing once when I plugged in my TS, and my diagnostic told me that no gesture set was found, and that it could not run diagnostics. When I ran the utilities I was able to upgrade the firmware from 1.6 to 1.6. Thus, reformatting my TS. I tried doing a hard reset (5x palm tech), but this didn't work. I did see the cursor arrow move in a counter clockwise circle, each time a reset is preformed, but for some reason the TS was still not found. I'll try to recreate my problem to see if I can get some screen shots. Unfortunately that will have to wait until I get home from work.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby TP Diffenbach » 05 Dec 2005, 14:46

thenn wrote:My computer saw nothing once when I plugged in my TS, ....

Is this a problem you're currently having, or did you get it working after this happened?
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby thenn » 05 Dec 2005, 15:32

It was a one time problem, but I think I can replicate it. Yes, the TS works great now as well, after I did the firmware upgrade from 1.6-1.6. Basically I threw the same firmware on the same TS, but it got it working.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby TP Diffenbach » 06 Dec 2005, 05:04

thenn wrote:It was a one time problem, but I think I can replicate it. Yes, the TS works great now as well, after I did the firmware upgrade from 1.6-1.6. Basically I threw the same firmware on the same TS, but it got it working.

I am confused. If thre computer couldn't see the TS, how'd you transfer the fireware to the TS?
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby thenn » 06 Dec 2005, 14:22

You know how in the utility you can upgrade the firmware, this is the way I did mine. Another way may be to d/l the 1.6 firmware with java from the fingerworks site. I'll try again when I get home, sorry yesterday I had to work late. My initial problem may not be the exact one you had. I know my computer could not recognize my TS, even when I plug/play to other USB ports and other machines.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby thenn » 06 Dec 2005, 23:11

I have replicated my problem. If the TS is getting a geture set update, and you unplug during the transfer, the TS will not work on any computer. Resetting via the 5x palm trick does not work either. Windows does not find any new hardware when I connect the TS on any of my 6 USB ports.

Using the fingerworks utility (Device firmware upgrade) my ts is found in the drop down box. I used apply default upgarde for this product. Pressed start, let windows install the new driver for the TS, now it works. My initial problem was that like you I had a spark of electricity hit my TS when I sat down to use my comuter. I just recreated my problem by disconnecting the ts before the gesture set could be updated.

Hope this helps, but if not...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby ivanw » 07 Dec 2005, 00:59

We have an amazing suspense here. It looks like thenn did a very nice gesture with his TS :wink: If it happens to solve the problem, this thread will be a model to illustrate how these forums are sort of life support for all of us. Should this do the trick, TP Diffenbach, you'd owe him :roll: If it does not, well the spirit would still have played out.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby TP Diffenbach » 08 Dec 2005, 00:33

thenn wrote:I have replicated my problem....

Using the fingerworks utility (Device firmware upgrade) my ts is found in the drop down box. I used apply default upgarde for this product....
Hope this helps, but if not...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Gutsy move, replicating, thanks, and thanks for your kind words too.

I'd have replied sooner but I don't appear to be getting topic reply notifications anymore (possibly my spam eater is eating them).

Unfortunately, when I've tried to use the firmware upgrader, it does not see any TS devices. ("No Fingerworks device found.")

Now, I'm using the java version of the firmware upgrader, MultiTouch_Utilities.exe, with a md5sum of 6f02b91897c4610e024544e035116ac2 on a windows XP box.

What firmware updater are you using, with what md5sum?
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby thenn » 08 Dec 2005, 05:37

Sorry TP Diffenback, I don't know where that is located. I used the java installer found on the fingerworks website. If you can direct me to the "md5sum" location I will gladly post it.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby TP Diffenbach » 08 Dec 2005, 07:39

thenn wrote:Sorry TP Diffenback, I don't know where that is located. I used the java installer found on the fingerworks website. If you can direct me to the "md5sum" location I will gladly post it.

Nevermind that. ;)

Can you post a screenshot of your device manager, like this:

And the details tab of the properties of the Multitouch device, like this:
?

On two computers, I can't get the Multitouch Utilities to see the Touchstream. I tried it on my old computer, on which I'd previously used the Touchstream, and I tried reinstalling the drivers on that machine. No dice.

I'm hoping that it's a matter of copying the firmware down the USB wire, but if that's the case, why can you see your TS and I can't see mine?

Arrrgh.

Thanks again for your help, thenn.
TP Diffenbach
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 08 Dec 2005, 13:45

I get the exact same checksum for MultiTouch_Utilities.exe.
---
You may find something with Gibablast if you look for DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade) in the FWSF archive. I remember having read things about what happens while upgrading.
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini