Diamond reset on typing

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Diamond reset on typing

Postby isaacs » 11 Nov 2005, 22:17

I just started having this trouble recently. My keyboard will perform the diamond reset pattern while typing. It seems to be when I go near the e key or space and when I have done a shift chord, but not exclusively. My computer at work just fried and had to have the motherboard and vid card replaced. I am hoping it didn't damage my keyboard. I also recently started mapping some new gestures so I don't know if it was that. It only started yesterday after mapping new gestures on Wed. :? I hope it is something I can fix. Any hints?
Isaac.S
isaacs
Regular

Postby isaacs » 15 Nov 2005, 17:24

Well I got in touch with a guy that had been on the original fw forum with the same problem.
The issue I was having was the connector between the two halves of the keyboard got loose. What ended up working was to press straight down on one connector at a time with my fingers. The idea is to push the connector pins back into place.

Seems to solve the problem which is good news for me!
Isaac.S
isaacs
Regular

Postby ivanw » 15 Nov 2005, 21:08

Happy ending :!:
This problem looks like to be of the kind that WILL happen to every such device. To help understanding more about what may or may not be done, it would be interesting to know what you did that could explain how the cable got loose.

I did not have to move mine around since I have it but I am willing to know wether I can or I'd definitely should not.

It may be possible to identify a series of mistakes that are known to disrupt it in some way - folding, dropping, knocking, tearing it apart,...
Do you have any idea of what was the cause of the trouble :?:
ivanw
Zealot

Postby isaacs » 17 Nov 2005, 17:29

I don't have any idea of what I did specifically. I think it was just repetitive folding. I fold it every day when I go to work. I am going to stop though! I think what I will do is build a case that will hold the entire assembly and then I will velcro everything in place. I will even create a sort of port so that I can just plug it into a usb extension cable without flexing the original usb cable.
I'll post pics when I get it all completed. Was thinking aluminum would look good but I think I'll have to do wood. I don't have the tools for aluminum. Would look so cool to have it be like a powerbook case though. It would almost be like a cake cover/briefcase. We'll see what I come up with when I have some time.
Isaac.S
isaacs
Regular

aluminium cases

Postby Rqyteqto » 17 Nov 2005, 19:14

Hey isaacs,

I've been thinking about building a case for my TS, just in case but even for around the house should kids or whatever other dangers arrive. I don't really have the tools or a workshop for doing aluminium either, I doubt most people do.

But a very viable option is to buy a pre-built aluminium case and simply mod the interior to suit.

Here's a list of websites I've looked at:
http://www.starcase.com/oemaluminumcaseshop.htm - industrial grade
http://www.casesgalore.com/index.asp?Pa ... ID=28&HS=1 - low cost
https://www.mezzi.com/product.php?id=0&prodid=16
http://www.luggagebase.com/btc/product_ ... 00000&pn=1
http://www.casesgalore.com/index.asp?Pa ... Category=5

There are lots and lots more, you can spend hours checking them out, some are reasonable, ie - less than $100, but I've seen some listing at over $500.

In any case, there's no question the Achille's Heel of TouchStreams is the ribbon cable. It's the one real serious lapse of good engineering in the whole product. One should never rely on a ribbon cable as a mechanical connector in the first place, and especially not a ribbon cable that's also carrying data. It should have been either a solid link or a real cable, with real connectors at each end, not just a compression fitting.

The same could be said for the USB cable, It would have been much better to have that as a port you plugged a cable into, a locking port would even be better. Better yet would be to have the whole thing wireless but that brings up the issue of batteries and chargers.

Good luck with your project, do post pictures of what you end up with and don't hesitate to ask for help or advice.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 18 Nov 2005, 11:57

Honestly, you don't really need to buy a $500 aluminum case for the TS. The trick is to make sure the two halves don't move relative to each other, and that's quite simple. Just secure the pads to the tent stand (discussed in these two threads) and carry the thing as one unit, in your normal rucksack or carry case.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby Rqyteqto » 18 Nov 2005, 19:33

Not all of those were $500. Some are in the $50 range.

But Torben is right. Even if you don't have a tent stand, it really shouldn't be that difficult to make up something, even for the shop-impaired among us. A nice piece of wood would do. Or get a shop to cut and bend you a bit of 3/32" aluminium plate. There's lots of alternatives.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini