Chords

Comments specifically about the keyboard devices.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Chords

Postby jono » 16 Jun 2005, 01:19

I just realized something funny... I was given an IBM Thinkpad to use at work, and the damn things don't have meta (windows) keys on them... Ctrl/Alt/Shift on *both* sides of the keyboard, which is good for perfect typists who can alternate their shifting hand, but ultimately meta is more useful. Also the Fn key was put where the Ctrl key should be... grr.

Anyway, I painfully remapped the keyboard and it only occurred to me now that setting CapsLock to be the Meta key is just like Touchstream chording. If only Tab wasn't such a useful key, I'd remap that to Ctrl...

:lol:
jono
Familiar

Postby ken gray » 16 Jun 2005, 13:38

HA!
i think you can get that window key to work with ctrl-function-shift-f6-backspace.
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby JerryKnight » 16 Jun 2005, 14:47

Now, this isn't Emacs... =P

Seriously, Windows also responds to Ctrl+Esc the same as the Windows/Start key. That used to be the defacto standard shortcut key before Microsoft conned the keyboard manufacturers into adding a custom key.

(I guess the same could be said about Apple's Command/Option keys, but they have had a little more direct control over Mac hardware..)
JerryKnight
Hang-around

Postby ken gray » 16 Jun 2005, 14:50

yeah, i was being a little funny... :lol:
the ctrl-esc thing will bring up the start menu, however it won't act as the Win-e to bring up Explorer.
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby jono » 16 Jun 2005, 15:15

Haha ... it's all about Win+D to minimize and Win+L to lock up every time I turn around in my chair ;)
jono
Familiar

Return to Keyboards: TouchStream, MacNTouch, Digitouch, Mini