Dvorak

Talk about the weather, movies, whatever -- just not FW stuff.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Dvorak

Postby drew » 15 Jun 2005, 00:10

Found this The Dvorak Zine on Slashdot it is an interesting site with a cartoon about the Dvorak layout that is discussed around here frequently. I switched to dvorak on my qwerty TS and have never looked back or at my keys either :lol:
drew
Regular

Postby moof » 14 Jul 2005, 17:49

I've been on Dvorak for over a year now and like it much better than QWERTY. Go for it!
moof
Familiar

Postby Shawn_Milo » 14 Jul 2005, 18:11

On my Touchstream LP, I set the right palm gesture to switch layouts. (Up with Dvorak, down with QWERTY!) ;o)

<rant>
The thing that sucks about Windows -- well, another thing, is that if you switch layouts, it only takes effect for the currently open app. That doesn't even include new windows and pop-up dialogue boxes (such as password prompts, where you only see pretty ******* symbols and don't know why your password doesn't work).

OS X and Linux (KDE, anyway) don't behave in this bass-ackwards manner...
</rant>

Milo
Shawn_Milo
Regular

Postby staygood » 20 Jul 2005, 07:00

That was one of the cool things about Tiger (Mac OS 10.4), you can switch the keyboard layout during the login. It is the default that keyboard switching affects all apps, but there is an option to make it per-document.

Windows still blows. As I am Touchstream-less, I bought a TypeMatrix so I could switch to Dvorak transparently in Windows.
staygood
Familiar

Postby ken gray » 20 Jul 2005, 13:16

I don't have any problem switching in windows xp or 98.
i have Dv setup as my default on my laptop....
ken gray
Site Admin

dumb windows

Postby bryanlharris » 02 Mar 2006, 08:50

Windows login prompt I have to sit there and figure out what my password is letter by letter... on Mac I just press [command]-[space] and it switches to dvorak, so much easier.
bryanlharris
Hang-around

Re: dumb windows

Postby Shawn_Milo » 02 Mar 2006, 20:23

bryanlharris wrote:Windows login prompt I have to sit there and figure out what my password is letter by letter... on Mac I just press [command]-[space] and it switches to dvorak, so much easier.

I completely understand. Windows is so annoying in both that and the fact that if you switch the layout when you are logged in it only changes it for the current window.

My only suggestion is to get a switchable keyboard. I use the TypeMatrix 2030, and it's labeled Dvorak, but hard-wired QWERTY. That way, if I'm using a computer I can't change (or logging into Windows), I hit the "Dvorak Lock" and have a good time. If I have changed the OS to Dvorak, I can leave it at the default and still type good old Dvorak.

ShawnMilo
Shawn_Milo
Regular

Postby nomaded » 02 Mar 2006, 22:03

I think as long as you completely remove the "US" layout from your account in windows, your login will be in dvorak. I forget exactly how I got it to work, but it's doable.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Return to Off-topic discussions