Should we have a domain?

Discuss, suggest and complain about the forum itself here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Should we have a domain name?

No, fingerfans.dreamhosters.com works fine
50%
Yes, I vote for fingerfans.net
7%
Yes, I vote for fingerfans.org
21%
Yes, I vote for fingerfans.com
21%
Yes, but I suggest a different name
No votes

Total votes : 14

Should we have a domain?

Postby TorbenGB » 18 May 2005, 11:28

We can get the domain name fingerfans.[com/net/org] if we want -- but do we want it, and if yes, then which one to choose? That's what this topic is about. Please vote, and add comments if you feel like it.

I have the option of one free registration, so if you wisely suggest to register all of com/net/org and let them all point to e.g. the .net domain, that's fine but then somebody needs to pay for the other two.

(I'm hoping that nobody is evil enough to see this post and hog all the relevant domain names and hope to get well paid for selling them. This would be fruitless; there will be no payment. :roll: )
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby notmatt » 18 May 2005, 13:52

Go for the .com I reckon. :)
notmatt
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 20 May 2005, 11:00

notmatt wrote:Go for the .com I reckon. :)

Please explain why? We're not trying to run a COMpany here; in my mind it's more like a support ORGanization or a user NETwork. Or is it an INFOrmation site?
(I have deliberately not voted myself.)
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 20 May 2005, 12:50

I voted for .com, not because of what it stands for, but because it is easiest to use. I prefer to type fingerfans and then hit CTRL+Enter. In Windows with IE, this keyboard shortcut adds http://www. and .com to whatever you type. Otherwise, I wouldn't have too much preference, but I would be annoyed when I couldn't figure out and/or remember which one it was. Also, I think .com originally stood for COMmuication(s) and everyone just assumed company, but I'm not positive as it was long ago that I knew. Either way, seems to me that the only way picking the .com could be bad is if there is currently a company out there who makes some kind of personal cooling device that attaches to or uses ones fingers, hehe.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 01 Jun 2005, 11:32

Not a lot of votes or comments... let's keep the current address until anything else crystallizes.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby TorbenGB » 14 Nov 2005, 11:26

Half a year later, let's hear your thoughts!

Should we go away from
http://fingerfans.dreamhosters.com and
forum

and just get
http://fingerfans.org and
http://forum.fingerfans.org
instead?
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby Rqyteqto » 14 Nov 2005, 17:54

I realize this isn't much of a reply but frankly, does it matter?

A rose is a rose is a rose and still smells as sweet whatever name you give it.

So, what advantage is there in a change? What disadvantage?

If it helps at all, I have a free registration available.

Lastly, Torben, what is this costing you and do/don't you want/need/desire/abhor/whatever any financial assistance. I know its not much, but hey, even the flap of a butterfly's wing ... ...

I can, at present, help financially.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Naa, don't waste your money.

Postby phill » 14 Nov 2005, 18:31

I don't think you should waste your money on a domain name for a product that is not made anymore and will probably fade away within a few more years when they all fail to work any more. Supporting Fingerworks products is a lot cause since the product and company is gone forever.

As much as I like this site, I don't see it lasting another year.
phill
Regular

Re: Naa, don't waste your money.

Postby ivanw » 14 Nov 2005, 21:40

phill wrote:As much as I like this site, I don't see it lasting another year.
:wink: :twisted: :wink:
Please phill, tell us more about this, may be we could make that happen sooner if we know how to do that. As a result, some of us would waste less time working on a lost cause.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 15 Nov 2005, 18:42

Well. perhaps I am in error, but one of the first things we could all do is to destroy our boards along with any and all software. Just to be sure, we should also dissassemble any machines they were ever attached to and have the parts crushed, then melted down and cast into components for a new space probe that will be driven into the sun.

Then, it would be mandatory for all persons with any knowledge of Fingerworks to submit to mind washing so any and all trace of the technology can forever be erased from existence. Those failing to submit would face more draconian measures.

Really phill, your post reminds me of those folks that call in to TV polls and vote 'undecided' or 'not sure' or 'don't care'. How can they be so committed to ambivalence?

If you are so certain of its demise, why bother to participate?

I apologize to all others, just this sort of passive aggression really gets my goat. I guess that's the point of it. Well, phill, just to spite you, I will personally commit to making sure this site lasts at least a couple more years. You know, most young adults have never even heard of Studebaker, but the Avanti is still one damn fine car that a lot of people very much enjoy.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Should we have a domain?

Postby TorbenGB » 09 Dec 2015, 21:43

Aloha Rqyteqto - it seems you got the final word in that, eh? It's been a full decade(!) since "phill" gave us a year tops, and this place is still around. A decade online is line a century in the real world. Ha!
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 10 Dec 2015, 13:51

And that free year of registration would be long gone, so I'm glad you didn't saddle yourself with that expense.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 10 Dec 2015, 14:52

> free year of registration

No no, it's free for life! DreamHost is a damn cool hosting provider!
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to About this forum