What is the future of Fingerfans?

Discuss, suggest and complain about the forum itself here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

What is the future of Fingerfans?

Postby TorbenGB » 06 Dec 2012, 15:37

I've just read about how Google+ communities could become the new Yahoo Groups.

Would that be an interesting platform for our community?

I'm asking for two reasons:

#1) First, it seems that the need for this site is disappearing. There are so few active users left, and the world has moved on. I'm not sure how many people are still using their FW devices. Whoever they are, they aren't coming here.

#2) Second, I'm simply tired of maintaining this site. It's a lot of work just keeping the software up-to-date and keeping the spammers at bay. It's not fun, and the effort no longer seems reasonable versus the benefit (see #1).
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: What is the future of Fingerfans?

Postby The00Dustin » 07 Dec 2012, 04:21

I don't plan to be there, but I don't have any FW devices anymore, so it wouldn't really matter. Would it be possible to preserve all of the files and information previously archived here for those with a need? That's about all that really matters. Speaking of those with a need, I still have 5 new replacement ribbon cables that I recently stumbled upon...
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby jmadison » 11 Dec 2012, 00:12

Hi Torben,

First, I just want to thank you for all the effort you've put into this. It really has helped me, and many others over such a long time. I do totally understand the situation, however, and it may be time to simply "be done".

I don't know how many of us there might be, but I'm still using my TouchStream daily. It's my primary input device at work.

As for the Google+ Groups... I really wouldn't want to go there either. Maybe if a whole new Fingerworks-ish thing started up and it was on G+ I might consider getting an account and joining, but that seems unlikely.

I do like The00Dustin's thought of archiving this whole site somehow. I don't know how to do it myself, but I would be interested in basically having a downloadable archive of the site. There is a lot of good info here, and since I do still have a working device that I use daily, I would be nice to at least have that knowledge base on my hard drive.
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby TorbenGB » 11 Dec 2012, 09:24

There's no need to archive this site -- it doesn't cost me anything to keep it online (and I'm not going to switch hosting provider anytime soon!) so I can just keep the site up indefinitely.

Because of the spam it might be necessary to disable new registrations though. That wouldn't hurt the "archive" function but it would hurt any actual, new users. In this aftermarket age of FingerWorks, losing touch with the last remaining users would be the worst situation I can think of.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 19 Dec 2012, 11:00

Hi, still there wirh my TS-LP on my desk...

A suggestion to make your life easier in the great job you've done for the community...

Would any new user have access to personal message to other members, making all forums read-only would not be a full closed door situation....
ivanw
Zealot

Postby TorbenGB » 19 Dec 2012, 11:21

ivanw wrote:Would any new user have access to ...
The problem is that when we grant new (actual) users any means of communications, then spammy user registrations will have the same means. If new users can PM other users then they'll get barraged. Not good. Ultimately I would even prefer to have a global message along the lines of "If you're a real person and you want to join us, send an email to Torben at ..." and I would handle the few real users manually rather than dealing with the flood of spammy users.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 19 Dec 2012, 11:41

OK, I'll support any kind of situation where these forums remain readable by everyone with a means for genuine humanoid life to be part of it with your approval.

Thanks again Torben for your dedication

Ivan
ivanw
Zealot

Postby petercooperjr » 21 Dec 2012, 21:08

I make sure to check here every couple of weeks. I'd love there to be some kind of community, especially as maintaining these devices (replacing ribbon cables when needed and the like) is something where we could really use each others' expertise.

I really appreciate the effort in keeping this all running. I don't have any particular objection to moving to some easier-to-maintain platform, assuming that what's here moves with it. I am also wondering how many people are left using Fingerworks products…
petercooperjr
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 07 Jan 2013, 08:38

All right, to wrap up this thread let me officially state that I will not move this site, nor close it -- it will remain in this format that we know.
Not changing anything is safe and comfortable for everybody; changing would mean lots of work for no great benefit (given the small number of users we have).
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to About this forum