Where have all the users gone?

Discuss, suggest and complain about the forum itself here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Where have all the users gone?

Postby TorbenGB » 15 Feb 2011, 11:53

I'm getting the feeling that this site has outlived itself. I count less than 5 regular visitors, even if I include myself. That is not a lot, especially considering that we have nearly 200 registered users (after removing all the spammers).

I admit I've been way too active in the last few weeks, so it almost looks as if I'm just talking to myself here. I'm not happy about this situation, but I guess it's simply the evidence of the current situation: there are very, very few users left! I don't like to consider what this means.

thewall.png
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: Where have all the users gone?

Postby The00Dustin » 15 Feb 2011, 18:24

I like how Ivan, who is arguably our MOST active user isn't even on that screen. I admit I haven't seen too much new as of late, but this forum was never overly active, and some people who hadn't stopped by it ages stopped by over the past few months (Minox, for instance). I don't like what it could mean either, but then at the same time, it seems like a lot more of these devices have been selling, so maybe it's just a matter of teh buyers not knowing about this resource (then again, I wonder if Apple is pulling a Disney and buying them to destroy them).
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 15 Feb 2011, 19:04

Your observations cheer me up! It's true that there's not much happening to post about so quite naturally the site is a bit quiet. But still alive!

As for eBay auctions I do try to contact the seller every time and ask to tell the buyer about this site, and also to put a link in the item description. Showing that there is still support and downloads available is a selling point.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby jmadison » 15 Feb 2011, 20:45

I'm still here!

I haven't had too much to say lately, and my PC was out of commission for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't dug up my password to post here.

Overall, It's tough to know how to interpret things. I'm still hoping that somehow the fingerworks that we all know and love will somehow be revived. It absolutely amazes me that here we have this technology that is years and years old... but is still so new and cutting edge, that the common market hasn't even come close to it yet.
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby ivanw » 16 Feb 2011, 14:27

Life with my TouchStream keyboard has softly turned into a discrete symbiotic relationship. I've immersed myself into multi-touching things since my hands have fingers but, after enjoying our FW toy for those last few years, I had to move on in order to discover some other means of indulgence. But I'm still here and I'll never miss a post of this forum.

In fact, I'm still looking for an effective way to swiftly switch from typing on my MS4000 to gesturing on the TS.
Problem is that there is no room for both being seamlessly reachable. Something has to be moved in the process, either one of those devices or the monitor or myself and the monitor. Each one of those has only one good position relative to the other two.

I can move as my chair has wheels. My screen can move too as I'm equipped with an Humanscale M7 monitor arm which I've come to appreciate for years. What I've still to figure out is how could all those input devices be arranged to have them at hand at all times... I just have too many of them (I've turned into a gamer lately and I know I'm too far gone to get cured anytime soon). (mouse(s!), Ergodex DX1, G27 wheel, Harmony RC, Huge MS4000, ... and more to come, I'm sure of that!)
ivanw
Zealot

Postby TorbenGB » 16 Feb 2011, 14:59

ivanw wrote:I just have too many of them
... and that's exactly why you can't find a solution. I could imagine a stacked approach, sort of like an organ keyboard, where you have your primary input (TS?) in front of you, and the MS4000 on a shelf above, for occasional use? But if you want to choose any one as primary device for a while, then I can only think of one solution: two workspaces!

Either get a second monitor, and display the same image on both monitors. Have the TSLP and the MS4000, respectively, in front of the monitor. Now, rather than moving the devices, move yourself from workspace to workspace. You'll have two complete workspaces, hooked into the same computer&desktop.

Or don't get a second monitor but instead extend the Humanscale monitor arm so that your monitor can be swung from one workspace to the other.

As for the other equipment you have, it sounds like it's gaming-related so I guess that would live around the MS4000 while your TSLP workspace is relatively tidy.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby nomaded » 29 Mar 2011, 23:19

TorbenGB wrote:I'm getting the feeling that this site has outlived itself. I count less than 5 regular visitors, even if I include myself. That is not a lot, especially considering that we have nearly 200 registered users (after removing all the spammers).

I would say it's just a matter of the lack of any real news about FingerWorks. There's a wealth of info on this site now, so it'll be useful for someone to get This Old Tech (tm) to work again. Of course, I've configured my devices years ago, so I don't really have any motivation to mess around with VMs to get the configurator to work correctly. Maybe at some point in the distant future Wayne will be able to release his old source code for us to play with.

As for not being active, life has kept me busy. And new shiny things.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Return to About this forum