Graphics should be colorblind-friendly

Discuss, suggest and complain about the forum itself here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Graphics should be colorblind-friendly

Postby TorbenGB » 18 Oct 2010, 08:26

I received a message that the icons for unread vs. read posts are so similar that they look the same to colorblind users. I quickly replaced the "unread" icons with images from a different design ("milky way"), and that helped. However, the new images weren't the same size, so it looked a bit odd together with the rest of the original images ("prosilver").

I've now replaced the imageset once more. The site now uses the original design "prosilver" but with the complete imageset from "KS_Serious", so we're not mixing imagesets anymore. I've tested the new imageset for colorless contrast and I'm satisfied with this look, but I'm always open to additional feedback.

If you see any problems, please send me feedback. Either send me PM or post here. I'll see it either way and work on a solution!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: Graphics should be colorblind-friendly

Postby The00Dustin » 18 Oct 2010, 23:58

The new icons look great to me.
Dustin
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The00Dustin » 20 Jan 2011, 19:00

Torben,
I think the icons got reverted at some point. I've been dropping by and not seeing new messages, then I got an e-mail today about a topic reply, still didn't see new messages, dug in, and found at least some of them. Thought you should know, hopefully it's an easy fix to get it back how you had it.
Dustin
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 20 Jan 2011, 21:09

Oh. There was an automated upgrade of the forum software and it restored the original graphics. I'll put the new ones in again when I get home, but I guess this will be an issue after every upgrade. Maybe I'll take a look how much work it is to create a dedicated theme.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 20 Jan 2011, 22:39

Great, thanks. Hopefully making a custom theme would be as simple as copying the existing theme you used and then making the minor modifications you made to the custom copy. -Dustin
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 01 Feb 2011, 19:42

There, the new images are in place again! :-)

This is just a quick hack and will probably be destroyed again next time there is an automatic update. But those updates are good to get, so I'm okay with that. The next step would be to either copy this layout as a new style and use that, or create a script that can restore the images when they're overwritten again. That'll be a task for another day.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 01 Feb 2011, 20:36

TorbenGB wrote:There, the new images are in place again! :-)

This is just a quick hack and will probably be destroyed again next time there is an automatic update. But those updates are good to get, so I'm okay with that. The next step would be to either copy this layout as a new style and use that, or create a script that can restore the images when they're overwritten again. That'll be a task for another day.
Works for me, I'll let you know if I catch it again.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 07 Apr 2012, 18:52

Once again, the forum software was automatically updated "for security reasons" and the icons were restored to the original, colorblind-unfriendly ones. I've just overwritten them with our colorblind-friendly ones again, so things should be back to normal now.

If you see something wrong:
1) Hit Ctrl+F5 to refresh the images in the browser's cache. If that doesn't help,
2) Send me a message or reply in this thread!
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 08 Apr 2012, 03:24

I forgot about this thread, hence the PM, but the icons do seem to be back.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 08 Apr 2012, 07:34

No worries :-) I'm glad it's working again!
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to About this forum