Causes of Fingerworks' demise?

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Causes of Fingerworks' demise?

Postby AngelixD » 12 Jun 2005, 22:43

It' pretty much undeniable, the fingerworks technology is the most advanced user input system out there. While touhpads have been around for a while. Fingerworks offered an astounding array of new features, such as multi-touch recognition, gestures, and keyboard emulation. Despite all this, the company has flipped belly-under, much to the cahgrin of technology enthusiasts.

So what do you think was the cause of this downfall? My personal speculation is that they really sucked it up in the marketing department. They were able to get some publicity on BBC once, and I've seen them pop up on message boards, but beyond that, they didn't advertise. I bet one well-placed ad in Wired would have sent their sales through the goddamn roof had they thought of it.

Also, their targeted audience from the beginning had been developers. While developers do tend to have a lot of money and spend it on things like these, there just aren't that many of them. Anyone planning on putting out some sort of novel coputer technology instinctively goes for the gaming crowd, or the general techie crowd. Thinkgeek stock(ed? s?) the keyboards for the longest time, but they suck because they rip people the fuck off.

And let's be honest: the cost was prohibitive. I'm a college student, and I just couldn't envision spending $350 on a keyboard, no matter how swank it is. Sure, I've spent countless hours drooling over the damn thing, but still, I have bills to pay. Had they been about $100 less, I definitely would have gotten one. The threshold was too high for this product to be disseminated well.

I know that other ergonomic keyboards cost that much as well, but i still don't know why. Other keyboards are just spins on the same theme with no new technology, and the only reason they would cost more is economies of scale. Originally, touchstreams were going to be $300 (see http://www.ieee-del.org/0501/page4.html for a history lesson ), and it features much more delicate technology than other keyboards. </derail>

So tell me, do any of you have any other thoughts as to why the touchstream didn't take off?
AngelixD

Postby ken gray » 13 Jun 2005, 13:16

I think it just started to hit critical mass but there are some drawbacks (ie typing speed tops out at about 90wpm). It would have been interesting to see where this would have gone if they hadn't beet bought out by some mysterious company who has yet to un-NDA the entire staff of FW (including the janitors it seems) :wink:
ken gray
Site Admin

Return to News about FingerWorks