Should I buy an iGesture now?

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Should I buy an iGesture now?

Postby barbara » 12 Jun 2005, 01:33

Hi,

I am new to this forum and was about to buy an iGesture pad (the only one available in Australia that I know of) when I discovered Fingerworks has closed down.....just my luck, I finally find what looks to be a great product and then they want to stop making it??

I am now in the dilemma of whether to go ahead and buy knowing that there may be no product support, apart from this forum, or to wait and see if someone else comes along with somehting better. The product looks great but does anyone out there use it primarily for CAD work?
barbara
Familiar

Postby PD » 12 Jun 2005, 01:45

I was in the same situation last week and decided that it was worth it. It will most likely work perfectly and if there is a problem, there is still support through fingerworks apparently. i am not sure how it would work in Australia though. In any case, chances are we will not need support. TO me it is definitely worth the gamble since it really does seem like a great,useful product.
PD
Familiar

Postby daniel1113 » 13 Jun 2005, 16:30

I would go for it. Now that FingerWorks has announced that they will support their products until the one year warranty period is over, and since there are a few stores with iGesture pads in stock, I don't think it is a bad decision. In fact, I decided to grab one on Friday to replace my TouchStream. I can live without a FingerWorks keyboard, but I sure miss the mousing and gesture functions. I'll be glad when mine arrives on Wednesday.
Daniel M. Carrico
www.danielcarrico.com
daniel1113[at]comcast[dot]net
daniel1113
Familiar

Postby PD » 13 Jun 2005, 18:39

I've now used it for a little while and can say that it's simply great. And I'm surprised with how easy it is to get into the swing of it with the gestures. Get it and enjoy! As long as it doesn't break down, there's no real worry about software and firmware upgrades since the basic functionality is driverless.

By the time it dies in the future, there will be something equally good to replace it, I'm sure.
PD
Familiar

Postby Rqyteqto » 13 Jun 2005, 20:14

I'd suggest anybody that can find any FW products and can afford them should buy them post haste. If nothing else, they will become collector's items.

I just hope that being solid state mine will last a long, long time. After that, perhaps I can reverse engineer it if some company hasn't picked it up and brought it back on the market.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby David Brown » 22 Jun 2005, 02:07

Rqyteqto wrote:...I just hope that being solid state mine will last a long, long time. ...

This winter, I almost purchased a set of industrial-style 3M anti-static mats and grounding cables because I kept zapping my TS so much. I think I will definitely do so before the winter sets in again... static electricity can of course kill solid-state electronics.
David Brown

Return to News about FingerWorks